Commercial Counsel - Flexible & Term Time Hours
We have an exciting opportunity for a Commercial Counsel to join our Legal Department.
This role will support the Legal Counsel to review and draft appropriate contracts across the Wesleyan Group, and provided associated commercial legal advice including data protection, dispute resolution and project work.
About the role:
- You will draft, review and negotiate contracts and associated documents drawing on experience, using in-house templates and with reference to specialist subscription sources. The contracts required by the organisation are largely to support indirect procurement and operational activity (IT, projects and data protection in particular).
- Provide legal advice in respect to requests from across the business on a broad range of legal issues, and gain specialist advice from external advisers where appropriate. Advice could be required on a broad range of matters, including customer complaints and disputes.
- Provide specialist legal advice on areas of change including data protection law. Identify areas of legal change or particular legal risk. Propose and implement pragmatic solutions. Maintain a network of contacts within the sector to ensure ways of working are consistent with good practice, and areas of legal change are identified on a timely basis.
- Establish networks with key colleagues across the business to enable legal resource to be applied and utilised effectively.
- Help develop the internal profile of ways of working within the Legal function, which is a relatively newly established team within Wesleyan.
- You will have a qualification as a solicitor in England & Wales, training at a top 100 private practice firm or equivalent in-house training contract, plus PQE in commercial law, in particular contracts and associated legal work. Prior experience in financial services is not essential but would be an advantage.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills to form and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders, and to develop a good understanding of their areas of the business
- Good personal organisation, flexible approach to work, and ability to meet deadlines
- Highly motivated and customer-focused
- Experience of using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Good attention to detail
This role will largely coincide with school term times. The role is therefore expected to be structured as working 4 hours per day, Mon – Fri, 39 weeks per year, during school terms. Annual leave is during school holidays. This is a fixed term contract of 12 months.
We are an equal opportunities employer.
We are unable to employ anyone who does not have the legal right to live and work in the UK.
If you are from outside the EEA and do not possess immigration status which allows you to live and work in the UK, we will be unable to progress your application as Wesleyan are unable to provide sponsorship. Therefore, in the recruitment process all candidates are required to provide the necessary right to work information and documentation.
Any unsolicited submissions from agencies will be accepted as a direct application from the candidate and no fees will be payable.