Principal Telecoms Design Engineer
25117708, Principal Telecoms Design Engineer
Fast Track your Career
Transport for Wales has awarded KeolisAmey a multi-billion-pound contract to run the Wales and Borders train service and to develop the Cardiff Central Metro. This is the biggest ever contract to be awarded in Wales and we will work closely with TfW to deliver a new era for passengers and for Wales, with more services, newer trains, better stations and a more reliable network.
To deliver the project and to establish a wider consultancy footprint in Wales, Amey is opening a design hub to create new jobs in Cardiff. We are looking to recruit designers, engineers and railway professionals across all rail disciplines for both the design and asset discovery phases of the project.
What is the purpose of this role?
- The provision of conceptual and outline design of Telecoms engineering solutions, presentation of engineering options.
- Preparation, checking and approval of feasibility studies, outline project specifications and other relevant written documents.
- Production, checking and approval of signalling layouts prior to issue to the client.
- Production, checking and approval of design concepts, drawings, specifications and other technical documents, ensuring adherence to current standards and procedures.
What will this role involve?
- Lead, supervise and check the work of other staff, including mentoring of junior Telecoms engineers
- Preparation and checking of safety critical Telecoms design, plans, application logic, technical details and TSRs, ensuring compliance with contractual and statutory requirements as well as client needs
- To ensure all design produced complies with scopes of work, client requirements and company procedures and meets all operational, technical and safety principles
- Assist with and contribute to the professional development of staff by supervising and checking the technical progress of staff, reporting the results and making recommendations to the Signal Design Manager
- Contribute to the production and maintenance of statutory risk assessments and registers
- Perform site correlation activities as required and mentor junior staff in this activity
- Undertaking drawing office cover during commissioning works
- Delivery of work to program, budget and specification
- Contribute to the development and mentoring of staff within the Section
- Assist with the planning, monitoring and reporting of project resources and finances
- Contribute to the technical evaluation of tenders, estimating and bid writing including negotiating with clients and identifying clarifications, unique selling points, methodologies and risks
- Client and third party liaison, whilst maintaining appropriate levels of confidentiality
- Representing the company on technical matters
What are we looking for?
You will be responsible for the establishment and review / update of internal design standards and / or processes to achieve a continuous improvement in quality and efficiency. You will contribute to the long-term technical development of the office by application of new techniques, procedures and practices.