Support Worker - Kirkby in Ashfield - Flexible Working Available
At Mencap we work in partnership with people with a learning disability. We do this by providing high quality, flexible services that support people, including young adults, to live as independently as possible in their own homes and in the community.
Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You will have opportunities to develop as a person, colleague, leader and activist.
You’ll make new friends and feel inspired to reach your potential. We will ask a lot of you - but you’ll get back so much more. With us, it is never ‘just a job’.
In return for your hard work and passion, we can give you real meaning and purpose in your work.
Do you enjoy pamper sessions and trips out into the local community, able to chant on the football terraces with the rest, create quality food from scratch. We are looking for a person with a warped sense of humour whom is very outgoing and very friendly with the ability to adapt their own personal style of support depending on what is happening around you. Supporting six people in the Kirkby in Ashfield area to live a fulfilled and happy life.
We are working to make our recruitment as person centred as we can. The person specification document attached for this role has been developed with the help of the people who will be supported by the successful applicant. The selection process will use these criteria to match not only skills and experience but also hobbies and interests of applicants with the people being supported. It is likely that the final decision on the success of your application will be decided by the people you will be supporting, and their families.
Could this be you?
What people like and admire about you
- You like to go shopping
- You have a wicked sense of humour
- You enjoy looking for new experiences / activities
- You have a patient and calm nature
- You have a broad taste in music – from Classical to musicals
- You enjoy walking
- You enjoy being creative in your communication and can use a wide variety of methods
- You enjoy cooking and creating nutritional dishes
- You enjoy being part of a team and working towards a common aim
- You aspire to develop as part of the team
- You like gardening
- Your domestic skills
- Your always friendly and positive
- You don’t panic and can stay calm in difficult situations
- You have experience or an awareness of supporting people with profound and multiple learning disabilities
- You are a confident, experienced driver
- Your punctuality and timekeeping
What’s important to you
- Helping people to live the life they want to lead.
- Supporting people to enjoy their own space
- Building relationships based on trust, and a genuine interest in other people.
- Supporting people to make the most of a life outside the service. E.g. with family and friends.
- Supporting people to enjoy their free time for example: shopping, local events and walks in the park, meals
- Supporting people to plan and enjoy holidays and new experiences.
- Helping others to look and feel good.
- Acknowledging the contribution of others.
- Helping people to develop their skills
- Helping people to make choices
How we will support you
- A good induction to help get you started.
- Good career development with specialist training.
- Shape Your Future development programme.
- Opportunity to be recognized as part of our ‘Top Talent’ scheme.
- Part of a great team helping to do some great things for people with a Learning Disability.
- Be part of the Royal Mencap Society.
If you can work in a people orientated role, are a caring person who enjoys enabling people to achieve their life goals and aspirations we would love to hear from you. Experience within the care sector is an advantage but not a necessity as full training will be provided. You will be required to work on a rota basis which will include mornings, evenings, weekends, and also sleep in duties. Waking night shifts may be required, as well as on-call duties.
Attached is a full job description along with one page profiles the service users you will be supporting, have put together.
A Mencap support worker said “I love my job. Being part of people developing and learning new skills gives me a real feeling of achievement.”
As well as knowing that what we do is making a positive difference to people’s lives, you will receive fair pay and have access to a wide range of rewards and benefits as one of our employees.
- 28 days holiday (including bank holidays) increasing to 35 days with long service plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme
- Service related sick pay when 6 month probation is completed
- Pension contributions into NEST Scheme on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings
- Death in service life cover for a nominated beneficiary under our life assurance scheme
- Loans for debt consolidation,bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Discounts and cashback from 3% to 30% at high street shops including major super markets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencapextras
- Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
- Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
- Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
- Access to award winning training and development