Telecom Systems Design Engineer (Rail)
Fundamental to living our core values is having great people in our business. That's why we believe that Amey is only as great as the people we employ. We place great value on our people and the contribution they make to our business, that’s why we aim to offer a competitive benefits package to all of our employees.
Working for Amey you will receive a competitive salary and will be able to join our contributory pension scheme. In addition you will be entitled to Company sponsored life assurance and a generous holiday entitlement. You will also be invited to join Amey Choices which offers a range of flexible benefit options and offers additional benefits available throughout the year.
Amey is an equal opportunities employer.
What is the purpose of this role?
- To undertake any work of a technical nature that falls within the Jobholder’s ability and competence.
- To work at any position within a design project team to achieve the project objectives.
- To supervise the work of other staff When required, to undertake the roles of Activity Manager and Designer.
- Preparation of safety critical telecom design, plans and technical details.
What are we looking for?
- HNC/HND or equivalent but relevant experience may be accepted in lieu
- IRSE Designer Licence 2.1.115v1 (or able to obtain such)
- Membership of the IET or IRSE (desirable)
- 3 years’ relevant experience in the design of SISS Telecoms including CCTV, CIS, and Public Address systems and experience of Operational Rail telecommunications design would be beneficial.
- A good knowledge of rail industry products, practices and familiarity with applicable railway standards is essential.
What will this role involve?
- Preparation of all level of design from feasibility studies, outline project specifications through to detailed design submissions.
- Production of Telecoms layout drawings, specifications and other technical documents. Production checking of team’s work prior to independent check.
- Site visits and surveys, inspection of equipment for condition and capacity, including mentoring of junior staff in these activities.
- Delivery of work (personal workload and that of suppliers and technicians under the Job Holder’s control) to programme, budget and specification.
- Mentoring of junior staff within the team.
- Planning, monitoring and reporting of project resources, billable hours and delivery timescales.
- Ensure that design is effectively produced using the CAD system in accordance with office procedures and project specific CAD compliance requirements.
- Updating of designs and records.
- Client, inter discipline and third party liaison.