The primary purpose of this role is to improve Trafford's recycling performance by engaging with residents to improve participation and performance across the borough, this includes reducing levels of contamination in household refuse and recycling containers.
Assist in developing waste and recycling improvement campaigns and then executing the campaigns in accordance with the agreed objectives and plans.
Engaging with the public to encourage behaviour change that increases recycling and to achieve minimum agreed engagements each year.
The role will also assist the Waste Minimisation Manager in analysing participation and operational data to identify initiatives and activities designed to improve performances across agreed areas and waste streams.
- Trafford ward councillors.
- Trafford council employees.
- Local community groups.
- Recycle for Greater Manchester.
- Social housing providers.
- Greater Manchester Councils.
- Waste Minimisation Manager.
- Communications officer.
- Waste and Recycling Operations Manager.
- Service operatives.
- To deliver campaigns and pilots in relation to waste minimisation and recycling improvement initiatives.
- To liaise with Waste Supervisors and operatives in relation to round and household waste and recycling information and to provide feedback to the same where required.
- To gather and record data relating to participation of households in kerbside collection schemes across the borough.
- To conduct waste and recycling bin audits at households.
- Carry out bin snatch back initiatives when required.
- To use the knowledge from the participation data to encourage increased participation in the kerbside recycling scheme by providing verbal and/or written encouragement and instructional information direct to householders.
- To conduct proactive door to door canvass activity on a regular basis in accordance with agreed scripts and targeted engagement numbers.
- To liaise with resident groups to promote and encourage ownership of recycling schemes.
- To develop links with social and private housing providers/ community groups/voluntary /external organisations and attend meetings as and when required.
- To prepare and deliver presentations/activities to various audiences and assist in the development of educational/promotional material.
- Represent the One Trafford Partnership at external events, building a reputation for the partnership.
- Be accountable for ensuring the Health and Safety responsibilities are met.
- To represent Amey Plc as required.
- To undertake any other duties commensurate with the grade of the post.
- Numerate and literate sufficient to carry out the duties of the post.
- Appropriate experience of working in a customer service, or service delivery role.
- Experience of working with different local community groups and other agencies including partnership and joint working.
- Current, full driving licence.
Skills and knowledge
- Proven effective communication and organisation skills.
- Understand the need for working with and monitoring communities in delivering projects that are shown to make a difference in behaviours.
- Ability to liaise and communicate campaign messages across diverse audiences.
- Experience of carrying out projects under own initiative with minimum supervision.
- Experience of prioritising workloads to meet strict deadlines.
- Knowledge of waste management and waste and recycling collection services.
- Be competent in the use of Microsoft Office applications including: Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Have an understanding of numbers and percentages for the manipulation of data and reporting.
- Has an engaging communication and influencing style to be able to work with colleagues at all levels of the business.
- Is able to influence external organisations and build successful partnerships.
- Perseverance to deliver outcomes despite meeting obstructions from internal and external customers.
- Has the appetite and ability to work collaboratively across the partnership.
- Confidence to speak at meetings including senior executives.
- Is capable of helping to achieve successful culture change in a complex business with effective use of project management skills to ensure managed delivery.
- Ability to handle potentially difficult situations in a calm and professional manner.