Archiving and Deeds Assistant (Maternity Cover) - Part Time
Job Title: Archiving and Deeds Assistant (Maternity Cover)
12 month FTC working 28 hours per week which can be done over 4 or 5 days
Reports To: Archiving and Deeds Supervisor
Why Bates Wells?
If you’re looking for a City firm with a difference, you’ve come to the right place. Bates Wells is a place for people creating positive impact.
We combine an innovative legal practice with consultancy services offering expertise and fresh thinking on impact measurement, planning and strategy. Our clients are diverse – from global household names, to public bodies, to start-ups. We’re also the firm of choice for hundreds of charities and social enterprises.
We believe in making a positive impact, whether that’s lobbying the government to revise legislation around sustainability or working on a landmark case that challenges public perception: We are innovative and not afraid to challenge the status quo to drive positive change.
We have three core values listed below and as a values-driven firm we live by these principles: the commitment we show to our own people, our clients, the environment and society saw us become the first UK law firm awarded a B Corporation certification.
We're people people - we are a team of individuals, who are generous with our time and support, and we value everyone regardless of title.
We walk the walk - we live by our principles, we believe in you and we go above and beyond the role of a normal firm.
We face forward - we are optimists, curious and ingenious, we seek to drive change.
To maintain the firm’s archives including Deeds and Wills safely in off-site and scanned storage; and to assist the Archiving and Deeds Supervisor with maintenance of our Deeds on Demand (DOD) and the key dates systems.
The role is a maternity cover 12 month fixed-term contract at 4 days per-week with the potential to be flexible.
- Handling enquiries and requests for files or other centrally held client documentation from both internal and external clients
- Retrieving archived files from off-site storage as and when requested, with regard at all times to Bates Wells’ Data Protection policies and procedures
- Sending closed paper files offsite for scanning and destruction
- Updating information on VisualFiles (case management system) regarding closed files
- Adding scanned files onto VisualFiles
- Sending files off to LIVE storage
- Making up new Deed packets
- Keeping the online Deed/Will list up to date
- Liaising with appropriate suppliers regarding storage and scanning of closed files
- Working alongside IT regarding adding newly scanned files onto VisualFiles
- Sending off destruction certificates as and when required by suppliers
- Assisting departments with large file closing projects
- Maintaining and ensuring the accuracy of the DOD User Database
- To upload and maintain documents within DOD
- To help maintain and update the Key Dates register
- Ensure the information from key dates forms are entered into the Key Dates database
- Assisting the Facilities Admin department during busy periods with reprographics and printing jobs
Specific tasks may change over time, so we’ll need you to be adaptable and flexible as we continue to meet our clients’ needs.
About the Archiving and Deeds team
We are a small team sitting within both the Operations and Real Estate departments and go about our work with a positive attitude. We really enjoy our work and value one another.
Which qualities do we look for?
- Previous archiving experience is essential
- The ability to build, maintain and nurture relationships
- A client-centric approach
- Teamwork – there is a place for individual effort but we highly value a collaborative approach
- A results-focused mentality – we hope you’ll challenge the status quo if you feel it’ll benefit our work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A genuine interest in the work we do; we encourage questions about the business and invite you to test assumptions and propose ideas
Finally, we want people whose values reflect our own and who feel inspired working in a firm with a strong social purpose.
What are we like to work for?
- Our purpose and values both guide and drive us
- We promote a strong work/life balance
- We have an agile working environment – this means you might sit next to a different colleague every day or choose to work from our rooftop garden and we actively encourage people to work from home once a week
- Our culture encourages clear and honest dialogue and cross-team support
- We can promote our staff throughout the year and there are annual salary reviews
- We recognise success and contribution at any time of the year through our Recognition Scheme
- Our benefits and wellbeing package includes firm matching pension contributions, private medical insurance plus a medical benefit cash plan, discretionary bonus arrangements, life assurance, 25 days holiday (pro-rata’d) with the opportunity to buy more, subsidised gym memberships, lifestyle discount scheme, firm-wide profit sharing scheme, on site café, and Summer in the City early-Friday-finish
- Everyone gets a bonus if there is one - a proportion of the LLP profit is distributed to our people when we exceed our financial thresholds
Some extra details
- Bates Wells is a B Corporation. B Corporations are profit-making, purpose-driven organisations unified by one goal: to redefine success in business
- Our people rate us and we made it into the Sunday Times’ ‘Top 100 firms to work’ for in 2018
- Bates Wells provides legal documents to clients through ‘Get Legal’ – an innovative online documentation portal, which provides an affordable suite of legal documents drafted by sector-leading experts for tailoring by individual users
- We are committed to your wellbeing and offer physical and mental support in the way of subsidised gym membership, private health care and in-office Mental Health Awareness Ambassadors.
- We strongly believe that everyone should have the opportunity to reach their full potential whatever their background and believe a diverse team is integral to our success
How to find out more about us
You can find out more about Bates Wells and whether we’re the right fit for you by;
- Reading about us on our website bateswells.co.uk
- Ask around about us – as widely as you can
NB We will normally have at least 2 interviews – to test your skills and competencies to work with us and to see if your values align with ours.