Principal Telecoms Design Engineer
Fast Track your Career
Transport for Wales has awarded KeolisAmey a multi-billion-pound contract to run the Wales and Borders train service and to develop the Cardiff Central Metro. This is the biggest ever contract to be awarded in Wales and we will work closely with TfW to deliver a new era for passengers and for Wales, with more services, newer trains, better stations and a more reliable network.
To deliver the project and to establish a wider consultancy footprint in Wales, Amey is opening a design hub to create new jobs in Cardiff. We are recruiting designers, engineers and railway professionals across all rail disciplines.
What is the purpose of this role?
- The provision of conceptual and outline design of Telecoms engineering solutions, presentation of engineering options.
- Preparation, checking and approval of feasibility studies, outline project specifications and other relevant written documents.
- Production, checking and approval of signalling layouts prior to issue to the client.
- Production, checking and approval of design concepts, drawings, specifications and other technical documents, ensuring adherence to current standards and procedures.
What will this role involve?
Amey are working on various projects throughout the UK, including Wales and Borders, Crossrail, Brent Cross, the national level crossing framework and multiple immunisation projects. We are predominantly involved in Network Rail GRIP stages 5 to 8 design and build projects however we also have a number of early GRIP schemes.
Amey are looking for an experienced Principal Telecoms Engineer to join our expanding railway design team based in Cardiff. The successful candidate will undertake, verify and/or lead the production of telecoms design as part of a dedicated S&T design team. In addition, they must be able to supervise the work of other staff when required (i.e. provide mentorship of junior staff), with the opportunity of line management for the right candidate.
What are we looking for?
- HNC/HND or equivalent with relevant experience accepted in lieu
- IRSE Designer Licence 2.1.115v1 (or able to obtain such)
- A minimum of 3 years' relevant experience in the design of SISS Telecoms including CCTV, CIS, and Public Address systems and experience of Operational Rail telecommunications design would be beneficial. A good knowledge of rail industry products, practices and familiarity with applicable railway standards is essential
- Leadership experience
- Experience of acting as CRE
- Institution membership; IRSE, IET etc
- Institution registration; IEng, CEng etc