Head of Operations - Flexible Working Available
About the job Summary
Do you have a strong technical background with significant experience of automotive type approval?
Do you want the opportunity to support the automotive industry across the globe?
If so, these exciting opportunities to join VCA as our Head of Operations for our Bristol or Nuneaton offices are for you, and we’d love to hear from you.
We’re looking for strong leaders to manage both our Bristol and Nuneaton offices, where you will provide transparent management and effective operational delivery of your respective operations. In leading your teams you’ll engage locally with staff and contractors, as well as support our regional partners/offices to deliver high levels of customer satisfaction together with a robust application of VCA’s global policies and procedures.
This is a unique opportunity that offers you the chance to engage with our stakeholders both locally and worldwide, where you will be expected to attend regular face to face meetings to build effective working relationships and deliver a high level of service.
Your main responsibilities will include:
• Responsibility and leadership of respective Bristol and Nuneaton based operations for the provision of Type Approval and Regulatory Support services;
• Resource planning and deployment aimed at maximizing efficiency and utilization whilst securing the necessary flexibility to support demand at peak periods;
• Resource management of all staff and contractors including; recruitment, training/development, technical competence, and performance appraisals.
• Compliance with relevant DfT/VCA policies and procedures in the management and delivery of type approval services including; equality, sustainability, confidentiality, data protection, and health and safety;
• Contract management, including the change control process, dispute resolution, performance management, commercial risk management;
• Operational responsibility for quality and performance against agency KPI’s;
• Responsibly for ISO17020/25 compliance of their operation and fully support the wider agency accreditation process;
• Delivering high levels of customer satisfaction through building and maintaining professional and responsive working relationships, adding value to VCA services wherever possible;
• Financial responsibility to deliver against agreed budgets and updating of forecasts in respect of cost, revenue and margin;
• Oversee the communications and exchanges of information between Bristol/Nuneaton offices and wider VCA operations globally.
You will have excellent communication skills with the ability to tailor your delivery to suit a wide variety of audiences, maximising both impact and understanding. You’ll have strong leadership and engagement skills, with the ability to influence others and help them to work together towards a shared objective.
You will have excellent organisational skills with the ability to manage multiple and often conflicting priorities. You are someone who works well autonomously and as part of a team, where you have the vision to know where your efforts are needed most, and align your work to where it will be most effective.
The Vehicle Certification Agency is the designated UK Vehicle Type Approval Authority. We have over 30 years experience supporting industry by providing internationally recognised testing and certification for vehicles, their systems and components.
We are part of the Department for Transport (DfT). DfT is a great place to work, and our ‘one team’ approach really makes a difference. We value our staff and that’s why we’re committed to nurturing an inclusive environment across the Department.
You’ll be part of an innovative organisation that invests in all our people, ensuring we have the diverse skills to deliver transport that moves Britain ahead now and into the future.
DfT has been recognised for its leadership on workplace gender equality by being included in The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2017.
DfT’s inclusion is recognition of our commitment to make the Department a great place to work through our culture of equality and inclusivity and the great strides we’ve made to raise the number of women in senior positions.
If you would like to read more about VCA and the fantastic benefits that we offer please click here
If you would like to see what other opportunities we have to join VCA please click here
Full UK Drivers License
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Communicating and Influencing
- Managing a Quality Service
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Science and Engineering Professional Framework (all at level 4)
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Things you need to know Security
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths, Experience and Technical skills.
How to apply:
When considering your experience, please tailor your CV/Personal Statement to provide evidence of your:
• Experience of automotive type approval and/or related vehicle homologation processes and procedures;
• Understanding of UK, EU and UN vehicle legislation and related technical standards;
• Experience of resource planning and deployment by communicating effectively about priorities, objectives and expectations;
• Experience of influencing and engaging with a wide range of stakeholders.
The sift is due to take place w/c 02/10/19.
Interview/assessment will be held between 15/10/19 and 18/10/19.
Interview location to be confirmed.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment could include:
• an interview
• an interview with one or more exercises
• a full day of activities including interactive, written and timed exercises
The Department for Transport alongside other Government Departments recruit using Success Profiles. This means for each role we consider what you will need to demonstrate in order to be successful. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity. For further information on Success Profiles please click here
Your interview may consist of a range of question types. These may include questions about:
• what energises and motivates you
• how you would manage situations relevant to the role
• your previous experience
• your professional skills and knowledge
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
We have adopted anonymised recruitment. This means that your name, date of birth and other personal details will not be seen by the sift panel.
We may hold a merit list for up to twelve months. During this time, if a similar role is identified and you have been placed on the merit list you may be considered for the post. Within the merit list period, your application form and selection information may be shared across the department and its agencies.
Please see attached candidate notes for further information about our recruitment process.
If successful and transferring from another Government Department a criminal record check maybe carried out.
New entrants are expected to join on the minimum of the pay band.
If a person with disabilities is put at a substantial disadvantage compared to a non-disabled person, we have a duty to make reasonable changes to our processes.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:
Contact Government Recruitment Service via email@example.com as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs Complete the “Assistance required” section in the “Additional requirements” page of your application form to tell us what changes or help you might need further on in the recruitment process. For instance, you may need wheelchair access at interview, or if you’re deaf, a Language Service Professional.
Any move to the Department for Transport will mean you will no longer be able to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants Job contact : Name : Paul Higgs Email : firstname.lastname@example.org Recruitment team : Email : email@example.com Further information
The Valuation Office Agency’s recruitment processes are underpinned by the Civil Service Commissioners Recruitment Principles, which outlines that selection for appointment is made on merit based on fair and open competition. If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the values in the Civil Service Code and/or if you feel the recruitment has been conducted in such a way that conflicts with the Civil Service Commissioners Recruitment Principles, you may make a complaint, by contacting the Central Recruitment Team at the following address firstname.lastname@example.org If you are not content with the outcome of your complaint you have the right to complain to the Civil Service Commissioners For further information on bringing a complaint to the Civil Service Commission please visit their web pages: Click here to visit Civil Service Commission