Bathymetric Science Officer - Flexible Working Available
Does the process of making hydrographic data useable and accessible to a wide range of maritime customers interest you?
Do you have an understanding of bathymetry collection along with familiarity and/or the aptitude to become competent with a range of bathy processing and archiving software and tools?
If so, this role, working for the UK Hydrographic Office in our award-winning offices in Taunton, Somerset could be for you.
The UK Hydrographic Office is a leading centre for hydrography, providing marine geospatial data to inform maritime decisions. We work with a wide range of data suppliers and partners to support maritime navigation, safety, security and marine development around the UK and worldwide.
You will join our Operations Division, which is made up of four key areas of activity that collectively provide the stewardship, governance, management, analysis and manipulation of our Marine data assets to support our evolution as a Marine Geospatial Information Agency and enable the provision of products and services to meet the needs of our core SOLAS, Defence and new business markets.
This is primarily an analytical role where you will examine and verify large quantities of hydrographic data, of varying density and quality. Your key responsibilities will include:
- Verifying incoming bathymetric datasets, preparing reports related to the surveys and producing outputs for archiving and databasing whilst adhering to Data Governance guidelines
- Preparing text and graphics for Routine Resurvey Analysis reports
- Archiving survey data to tape, storing media in keeping with archiving requirements, keeping records up-to-date, extracting data as required and providing externally
- Assisting in the conduct of survey projects, such as the International Hydrographic Programme
- Assisting with external consultancy and training on-board vessels worldwide and with other hydrographic organisations worldwide
You will need to have focus and attention to detail, but also adaptability and a willingness to support surveying in the field, particularly overseas, as and when the opportunity arises. Above all, you will need to be a team player: this is a specialist team and Bathy Team Members support each other in achieving their output targets and developing their skills and knowledge of Bathy Data Processing and the wider aspects of Bathymetry as a science.
We will actively empower you to develop yourself and provide flexible working practices for a healthy work/life balance. You will also benefit from a brand new award winning office, with free use of our on site gym, free parking and subsidised canteen.
For a full job description, including the assessment criteria, please click the apply button to be taken to our website.