Conductor - Reading
Who we are:
GWR is the proud custodian of Brunel's railway - one of the most prestigious networks in the world and with the newest trains in the country and exciting plans to extend our services. With more than one hundred million passenger journeys each year, we carry people to over 275 stations in the South West, from Cornwall to Bristol, South Wales and London, passing through beautiful country and some of the UK's top tourist destinations.
We are transforming the way people think about train travel, empowering our team to make it a great experience for our customers. Together, we will restore the railways as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
About the job
As a Train Conductor, you will liaise with colleagues to deliver a world-class customer experience throughout the journey and will ensure the safety of everyone using GWR services. You will be able to adapt to new people, new places and new situations. We are proud in GWR to share a common set of values – these help us deliver for our customers, drive business growth and serve our communities across the West. Working on board our trains, you will clearly demonstrate these behaviours and attitudes.
What you'll be doing
Your main responsibilities will be:
- To be an ambassador for Great Western Railway by delivering the best customer experience and a safe journey;
- To be visible to our customers, providing information and help in a friendly and reassuring way;
- To manage the safety and operational activities of the train;
- To check and sell tickets, providing information and assistance as required;
- To ensure a safe, clean and pleasant environment is maintained.
You'll need to be:
- Passionate and proactive about delivering outstanding customer service;
- Determined to always perform well;
- Flexible, with the ability to work a variety of shifts including weekends and bank holidays;
- Comfortable working in a strictly regulated environment;
- Proud to be portray a professional image – well groomed and with an immaculate uniform.
As a minimum you'll need to have:
- An understanding of customers' needs;
- Excellent communication skills;
- The ability to build relationships and work as part of a team;
- Experience of front-line customer service;
- Experience of working as airline Cabin Crew desirable.
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including on-going development opportunities, defined benefit pension scheme, free rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family and other travel benefits, company-sponsored health care plan, discounted shopping and an employee assistance programme.
About the location:
This position is based at Reading station and this is where you will start and end your shifts. Parking is available. The station has a range of food outlets. It takes about five minutes to walk to the city centre.
This role will require you to work a variety of shifts which will include early starts and late finishes as well as weekends and bank holidays. Your starting and finishing times may be at times when public transport is not available so you must be able to get to and from the station without relying on this. During training, your basic salary will be £21,547. The basic salary increases to £32,281 once you are trained.
You must live within a maximum of 60 minutes' travelling time of the depot. This role is safety critical and you will be required to pass a medical which will include checking your hearing, vision and colour vision. The Railway standard is for perfect colour vision assessed using the Ishihara plates for testing colour vision. You will be required to pass drugs and alcohol screening and the role is subject to random drugs and alcohol testing. Your uniform will be provided by the company.
The more varied our workforce, the broader the expertise within our organisation. And the broader our expertise, the greater our chances of innovation and success. That's why we're committed to equality of opportunity, diversity and inclusion at every level.
If you share our passion for the railway then we would love to hear from you.