Development Manager - Flexible Working Available
Discovery Digital Media is a well-funded start-up within Discovery Communications, a high-performing global team working at the dynamic intersection of Technology and Entertainment. As content creators in the digital space, we continuously leverage our technological capabilities to create immersive viewing experiences for iconic brands including Eurosport, GOLFTV, MotorTrend, and DPlay.
We are excited to be recruiting the new opportunity of Development Manager to join our Dplay, a leading Video on Demand product in the Nordics. Based in London, the Development Manager will have overall responsibility for the day-to-day technical production of DPlay & QuestOD across Europe, ensuring that products are delivered on time, within budget and meeting quality specifications set out by the business. Working in collaboration with Delivery Managers, you will also plan and organise resources, as well as manage a distributed team of Developers and Testers. In addition, you will ensure relevant stakeholders are kept up to date with all areas of the product. (Product, Platform, Front End apps and Web)
- Ensure that software development is and remains under control and on track at all times.
- Formalise a release plan from development, test, trial to live release, enabling Discovery to release applications at a high frequency
- Track all resources and build and maintain a capacity plant to assist the Project Management teams
- Select and maintain development tools for source control, code analysis, build processes, and test
- Ensure suitable test coverage of all deliverables
- Provide guidance to the test teams in the selection of the most appropriate test strategy for each supported platform
- Monitor the performance of all delivery teams, formulating and executing improvement plans when required
- Keeping track of the creation and burn down rates of defects, taking corrective action if these rates do not satisfy quality targets
- Manage the continuous improvement of development and test processes by introducing new technologies and changes to existing processes
- Document all development and test processes which must also include guides for on boarding of new team members
- Collaborates with both Product and commercial teams as well as wider Discovery technology teams.
- A proven track record is expected to demonstrate strong leadership, planning and organisation, decision-making and communication skills.
- Working with key stakeholders to deliver a high- quality technical product on time and to budget.
- Exceptional leadership in technical management, evangeliser, and enforcer of the standards and guidelines of our Development Process. A proven motivator and team leader, with the ability to drive teams forward while maintaining strong morale, focus and efficiency.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and listening skills. An eye for detail and proven organisational skills.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced and fast-changing environment. To track overall budget and spending to ensure control of development costs.
- Able to balance technical solutions with time, cost and human factors; and to devote the necessary time to planning, directing and controlling team activities.
- Extensive, practical project management experience, managing budgets and spending with experience of controlling development costs, whilst ensuring quality is achieved and deadlines hit.
- Experience of working with multiple stakeholders (internal and external) with different goals, objectives and aspirations.
- Excellent technical awareness and skills, including working knowledge of React