Head of Application Operations - Flexible Working Available
Southampton, South East, SO15 1EG
About the job
Salary: £46,696 – £53,700 (depending on skills and experience).
Reporting to: Head of IT Operations.
Do you hold the capacity to lead a team of highly skilled engineers and service managers?
Are you interested in being part of a massive IT transformation within the public sector?
If so, we would love to hear from you!
The Maritime & Coastguard Agency has started an ambitious IT transformation programme that will deliver improved capability across an expanded IT workforce. We aim to improve all technology services whilst supporting the wider business on its own transformation requirements and ensuring IT aligns to their needs.
We are looking for a Head Application Operations within MCA. You will be based out of our Southampton office and responsible for setting the vision and strategy for service management across MCA. You will ensure processes are owned and maturing, leading a team ensuring adequate resources and capacity.
This role provides you with a fantastic opportunity to lead a key function within IT at the MCA, helping to shape and create an environment that makes a real difference for the UK public.
Roles Responsibilities include and not limited to:
• Overseeing the design, management and maintenance of applications.
• Delivering software components to enable MCA product delivery and operation.
• Leading the definition of the team’s technical strategy.
• Owning and maintaining relationships with MCA suppliers and partners.
• Providing advice and guidance to delivery teams across MCA.
• Liaising with product managers and technical architects to explore technical solutions.
• Leading a team of service managers and engineers.
You will operate to a normal weekday working pattern consisting of a 7.4 hour working day and over the course of a year you will work 1931 net conditioned hours. You will sometimes be required to occasionally work outside of normal conditioned hours, and to work/travel on official duty within the UK and short-term visits overseas.
Does this sound like you?
• Hardworking, resilient and flexible in the way you work
• Enjoys building positive working relationships, engaging and influencing colleagues at all levels
• Enjoys a varied and busy workload, and is able to manage multiple projects and deadlines
• Has a track record of producing work that is of high quality
You will also have experience in and be competent in the following areas:
• Experience in developing, implementing, maintaining and reviewing systems and service standards to ensure professional excellence, expertise and value for money
• Evidence of operating in a leadership role displaying honesty, integrity, commitment and passion
• Able to influence and inspire others whilst providing coaching and support when required. Evidence of empowering and delegation to ensure smooth delivery of services
• Proven ability to establish mechanisms to seek out and respond to feedback from customers about service provided
• Ability to develop proposals to improve the quality of service with involvement from a diverse range of staff, stakeholders or delivery partners
• Proven ability to communicate in a straightforward, honest and engaging manner with all stakeholders and stand ground when needed;
• Demonstrable experience of managing relationships with suppliers around delivery, budgets and commercial aspects
• ITIL v3 Practitioner qualification as a minimum
• Evidence that you can take appropriate action, anticipate, investigate and resolve problems in systems/servers
You will also be computer-literate, with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages like Word, Excel and Outlook, and be able to learn and use bespoke programmes and software.
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) implements the government's maritime safety policy in the United Kingdom and works to prevent the loss of life and occurrence of pollution on the coast and at sea.
Safer lives, Safer ships, Cleaner seas.
Our vision is to be the best maritime safety organisation in the world.
Find out what it's like to work at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency
We are part of the Department for Transport (DfT). DfT is a great place to work, and our ‘one team’ approach really makes a difference. We value our staff and that’s why we’re committed to nurturing an inclusive environment across the Department.
You’ll be part of an innovative organisation that invests in all our people, ensuring we have the diverse skills to deliver transport that moves Britain ahead now and into the future.
DfT has been recognised for its leadership on workplace gender equality by being included in The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2017.
DfT’s inclusion is recognition of our commitment to make the Department a great place to work through our culture of equality and inclusivity and the great strides we’ve made to raise the number of women in senior positions.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace
- Communicating and Influencing
- Seeing the Big Picture
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- DDaT Framework- Head of IT Service Management Right Click here for the Framework
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths, Experience and Technical skills.
The sift is due to take place Week Commencing 25th November.
There will be a two-stage interview process for this role, there will be a leadership assessment and a separate interview.
Interviews and assessments are likely to be started Week Commencing 9th December.
Interviews will likely be held in Southampton.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
How to Apply
When considering applying please look at how your experience relates to the role, please tailor your CV and Personal Statement to reflect the role and the essential requirements described in the role profile.
The Maritime and Coastguard alongside other Government Departments recruit using Success Profiles. This means for each role we consider what you will need to demonstrate in order to be successful. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity. For further information on Success Profiles please click here
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment could include:
A Telephone Interview
• An interview
• An interview with one or more exercises
• Multiple days of activities including interactive, written and timed exercises
The interview may consist of a range of question types which could include questions about your strengths or how you would respond in any given situation, as well as specific examples of things you have done. You may also be asked to sit a written assessment or present on a particular topic.
Your interview may consist of a range of question types. These may include questions about:
• What energises and motivates you
• How you would manage situations relevant to the role
• Your previous experience
• Your professional skills and knowledge
We have adopted anonymised recruitment. This means that your name, date of birth and other personal details will not be seen by the sift panel.
We may hold a merit list for up to twelve months. During this time, if a similar role is identified and you have been placed on the merit list you may be considered for the post. Within the merit list period, your application form and selection information may be shared across the department and its agencies.
If successful and transferring from another Government Department a security check may be carried out.
Applicants who are successful at interview will be, as part of pre-employment screening subject to a check on the Internal Fraud Database (IFD). This check will provide information about employees who have been dismissed for fraud or dishonesty offences. This check also applies to employees who resign or otherwise leave before being dismissed for fraud or dishonesty had their employment continued. Any applicant’s details held on the IFD will be refused employment.
In order to process applications without delay, we will be sending a Criminal Record Check to Disclosure and Barring Service on your behalf. However, we recognise in exceptional circumstance some candidates will want to send their completed forms direct. If you will be doing this, please advise Government Recruitment Service of your intention by emailing Pre-Employment.Checks@cabinetoffice.gov.uk stating the job reference number in the subject heading.
New entrants are expected to join on the minimum of the pay band.
Any requests for part time, job share, flexible working or home working will be considered in line with business need. The MCA are keen to support a good work life balance, therefore there will be opportunities to work flexibility or from home, these must be agreed with your manager and be considerate of business requirements.
If a person with disabilities is put at a substantial disadvantage compared to a non-disabled person, we have a duty to make reasonable changes to our processes.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:
• Contact Government Recruitment Service via DfTRecruitment.firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs
• Complete the “Assistance required” section in the “Additional requirements” page of your application form to tell us what changes or help you might need further on in the recruitment process. For instance, you may need wheelchair access at interview, or if you’re deaf, a Language Service Professional
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact
Government Recruitment Services via email: email@example.com
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission:
Click here to visit Civil Service Commission
Any move to the Department for Transport (DfT) will mean you will no longer be able to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants Job contact : Name : Digital Resourcing Team Email : Digitalresourcing@dft.gov.uk Recruitment team : Email : firstname.lastname@example.org Further information
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: email@example.com If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Click here (https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk/) to visit Civil Service Commission