Ruby Developers - Flexible Working Available
Who we are...
Soho House is a British hospitality organisation founded in 1995; we have built a following around our group of private members’ clubs, aimed primarily at creatives in the art, fashion, and media sectors. We run 20 clubs worldwide, including Shoreditch House, The Ned, Barcelona, New York,
and Miami, as well as hotels, co-working spaces, spas, bars, cinemas and restaurants.
Our company and brand has been built around creating a community of diverse, but like-minded people and upholding our feeling of quality, personality and a touch of home.
What's the mission
For 22 of our 25 years, Soho House has been a traditional hospitality company, with tech as the last thing on the agenda and a number of partnerships with external agencies. However as we try to scale our offering, that outlook has reversed and we are creating a long-term digital strategy
with huge investment from the founder and investors.
This means building a team with a tech-first culture, rebuilding our backend services from the ground up on cutting edge tech, removing external partnerships and working on an internal cultural shift from traditional enterprise to agile and product-driven.
What that looks like day to day
Day to day, we work on the usual challenges of building software, but also spend our time helping educate our peers and transform our culture. In three years we have built a team of around 20 developers, BAs and PMs who work in small scrum teams, with a focus on delivery
Day to day, you might find yourself:
● building and deploying features for our newest digital products—we ship quickly and
often when we can
● helping build tooling and improving our ecosystem
● building the occasional feature on our legacy systems
● spending time discussing ideas and implementation, and planning sprints
● helping improve internal process and how we work with the business
● maintaining, contributing to and creating open source software and visiting talks and
● Using your substantial discount at our restaurants for lunch (and often also Nandos with
Ideally you will have a proven track record working on scalable web applications within a lean
agile environment, comfortable working on the latest tech stacks, with a strong focus on quality
● A demonstrable track record building mission-critical web applications
● Extensive experience with Ruby
● Experience with and appreciation for well tested code
● A love for writing clean, efficient, readable code
● Experience working in cross-functional delivery teams
● Full command of Git and ideally GitHub
● Excellent communication skills and self-initiative
Bonus (but not required)
● Grape or Rails API
● Monitoring and optimisation
● Familiarity with microservice or service based architectures
● Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment
● The chance to shape the culture and tech of an incredible company with a diverse and
● A market salary. No need to take a massive pay cut when joining us
● Central London office with some flexibility
● Rest is important so we provide a decent number of holidays
● Global membership to our clubs with a diverse range of benefits including discount on
hotel rooms and at restaurants, cinemas, as well as £600/year to spend at
Topshop/Topman (yep—you heard correctly)