Communications and Outreach Deputy
The Arise Foundation is an innovative anti-slavery charity confronting the problem of human trafficking and slavery through networks of front-line abolitionists. We are offering an exciting opportunity to a highly motivated and organised individual, strongly committed to the protection of human dignity, to help tell the story of human slavery around the world today, and develop Arise’s support network. The ideal candidate will have experience working in journalism or public affairs/ relations, fundraising, and a proven track record of working with minimal supervision.
• To work with the Global Head of Communications and Outreach and broader Arise team to develop and implement our comms strategy;
• Gather content from the anti-slavery frontline with sensitivity, balancing the need to raise awareness against the need to safeguard on-the-ground operations and remain faithful to those we serve;
• Manage social media and website content;
• Write press releases, op-eds and reports; • Involvement in Arise’s parliamentary advocacy;
• Secure media opportunities, and to give interviews (both tv and radio) where appropriate;
• To devise and deliver an outreach and high-level fundraising strategy in support of our Global Head of Communications and Outreach, including creating and managing a programme of meetings and visits;
• To liaise on occasion directly with survivors of exploitation;
• To carry out any other duties which fall within the broad spirit, scope and purpose of this job description.
This job description reflects the major tasks to be carried out by the post holder and identifies a level of responsibility at which he/she will be required to work. In the interests of efficiency, major tasks may be reviewed from time to time to reflect changing needs and circumstances. Such reviews and any consequential changes will be carried out in consultation with the post holder.
Education and Qualifications:
• A University Degree.
• Advanced IT skills.
• Fluency in English, and another language is a plus, especially a language related to one of Arise’s areas of operation.
Experience and Knowledge:
• At least two years experience in journalism or public affairs/ relations.
• Experience dealing with high-net worth individuals.
Ability and Skills:
• Excellent oral and written communications skills;
• Basic filming and editing skills;
• Ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team and establish good working relationships at all levels;
• Ability to work and act on own initiative;
• Ability to contribute positively and creatively at team meetings; • Ability to complete tasks and projects on time and to a high standard, demonstrating a ‘can-do’ attitude;
• Ability to work under pressure;
• Ability to prioritise and manage own and others' workloads;
• Willingness to work flexibly; • Willingness to contribute to tasks falling within the broad spirit of the organisation, in keeping with the nature of a small team
• Ability to ensure that all relevant internal policies and procedures are complied with;
• Ability to travel.
Applications close at 17:00 on 13 December 2019, interviews 17, 18 December in London.