Head of Policy
Our client is looking for an experienced Head of Policy to help strengthen their policy and influencing activity for a 12 month fixed term contract.
They are the national membership body for voluntary organisations in Wales. Their purpose is to enable voluntary organisations to make a bigger difference together.
Position: Head of Policy
Salary: £34,883 - £36,743 depending on experience
Duration: Fixed term post - initially for 12 months. Our client will consider secondments
Hours: 35 hours per week. A flexi time scheme is in operation and time off in lieu is permissible for any work required to be undertaken outside the normal hours.
Closing Date: 9th December 2019
Interviews: 18th December 2019
About the role:
This post aims to strengthen our client’s policy and influencing activity in support of their purpose. This is a direct response to feedback from their members and partners.
The post will develop evidence-based policy positions, focussing on areas where they can make the biggest difference. The role will help put members at the heart of their work. It will enable close collaboration with external partners as well as working internally with teams across the organisation.
Some of your key responsibilities will include:
- Ensure policy work is evidence-based, drawing on participation from members and the knowledge and evidence available across the organisation
- To develop and deliver an influencing plan, engaging members and partners
- To co-ordinate policy and engagement activity
- To lead the Influencing and Engagement Practitioner Network
- Manage research activity
- Manage the budget for the policy and research functions
- To manage a team working on policy on research
The successful Head of Policy will bring with them the following skills and experience:
- An ability to develop strong policy positions and influence change
- An ability to develop evidence-based policy positions and to assess the opportunities and challenges this brings
- Experience of collaborating with a range of external organisations and internal colleagues to strengthen policy positions
- Excellent communication skills, including adapting to voluntary organisations, government, public bodies, politicians and internal colleagues to maximise impact
- Management of people, projects and budgets, including demonstrating impact
- An understanding of the voluntary sector as well as legislative, policy and social context in Wales
Although not essential Welsh language skills would be an asset to this post, as would relevant professional qualifications.
A workplace with a difference:
A job with our client offers you flexible employment that makes a difference. They operate a flexi-scheme to help you fit your career around your life commitments, as well as 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays, and an additional five discretionary days leave (usually used to cover office shutdown over Christmas). They also offer a generous pension contribution.
They have been awarded an ‘Investors in People’ accreditation and the Trusted Charity Mark of quality, encouraging staff to take part in their Employee Volunteering Scheme. Firm believers in equal opportunities, the ‘real living wage’ and workplace wellbeing, you really could not find an employer more committed to their staff!
Other roles you may have experience of could include: Head of Policy, Policy Manager, Senior Policy Officer, Policy and Research, Public Affairs and Policy, Policy Officer, Senior Policy & Campaigns Officer, Principal Policy Advisor, Head of Policy & Campaigns etc.