We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Marketing and Communications Specialist to join the Board of Trustees for a youth social action charity.
Position: Marketing Trustee
Location: London or trustees can join by video call from any location
Expenses: Reasonable expenses are covered including travel
Closing Date: 3rd February 2020
The Trustees take overall responsibility for the strategic direction of the organisation and its ability to fulfil its mission of empowering young people to ‘give a year and change the world’ and to impact the lives of children and young people in disadvantaged areas of London, Birmingham and Manchester.
We are seeking a senior marketing specialist, who can:
- Bring cutting-edge thought leadership and an outside perspective to help develop the marketing and communications strategy;
- Be a sounding board and source of support for the Development and Marketing Director and the Marketing and Communications Manager; and
- Bring practical links and insights into the opportunities and risks that will help take forward one or more of their campaigns (which include to increase the number of young volunteers, increase the number of partner schools, to secure greater fundraising income, and to secure government support for full-time volunteering).
All trustees are required to attend quarterly board meetings (3 hours) and committee meetings, (1.5 hours), and provide support and guidance to the senior leadership team and staff on an as-needed basis. Trustees are also asked to commit to attending a number of key events such as school visits, friend raisers, impact breakfasts, drinks events and gala dinner, opening day, red jacket and graduation ceremonies.
As a Trustee, your ideal background and experience would be:
- A current/prior Chief Marketing Officer (or someone who reports to one), who leads all or a significant part of a best-in-class marketing and communications function, including market strategy, brand positioning, social media, events, press, lobbying and campaigning and/or government relations.
- Experience of best-in-class marketing to a smaller entrepreneurial context.
- Someone who has successfully built the marketing strategy, brand positioning and awareness of an early stage service (or product).
About the Organisation
This youth social action charity, challenges 18 to 25-year-olds to tackle educational inequality through a year of full-time voluntary service. As mentors, tutors and role models in schools, they support pupils growing up in some of the most disadvantaged areas of the UK.
The volunteers are integral to the school day. They encourage pupils both in and out of the classroom to engage with and enjoy learning while developing their own skills. They meet to share experiences and benefit from additional leadership training, delivered by experts from across the education, business and voluntary sectors. The City Year experience empowers these exceptional and diverse young people to realise their aspirations and grow as leaders, both through their impact on children’s lives and through training, coaching and career development opportunities.
You may also have experience in areas such as Chief Marketing Officer, Marketing, Marketing Manager, Head of Marketing, Marketing and Communications, Communications, Brand, Branding, PR, Social Media, Events, Press, Lobbying, Campaigning, Campaigner.