Highways Structures Lead Technician
Amey Consulting are working on various intricate and challenging Highways, Structures and Bridges design projects throughout Highways England's Area 10 Network. The highways sector has always been one of our core sectors and because of our success in designing, building and maintaining the Strategic Road Network, Amey Consulting has become an industry leader in Highways Design consultancy services. With a growing team of 45+ staff, working collaboratively with Highways England in a shared office space in Birchwood, we continue to create innovative solutions to complex problems. We also support our people in their need to work flexibly, to fit around their lifestyle needs.
Due to an increased workload, we are looking to recruit a Lead Technician within our Structures and Bridges team. The successful candidate(s) will work collaboratively with the engineers to prepare detailed structural design drawings and schedules for the schemes in development. These schemes currently include: highway bridge deck replacements, footbridge replacements, pier strengthening, bridge refurbishments, bridge re-waterproofing and parapet replacement schemes.
This role will offer the opportunity for the right candidate to innovate and work with their team to develop themselves and the projects they work on. We are continuously working hard to collaborate with clients and our supply-chain to ensure we are successful in the objective of improving the world we live in.
In a typical week you will:
- Prepare structural design drawings and reinforcement bar bending schedules
- Manage Technicians and CAD Technicians, including personal development
- Support and carry out investigation works, surveys and detailed design where required
- Check and approve CAD related standards and implementation
- Work collaboratively with the Community, Highways England and delivery partners, to ensure consistent standards of design drawings
- Drive effective health and safety practices within your Team
- Liaise with the Client and our Community partners to ensure solutions that are developed are suitable for buildability and maintainability
- Work to programme to deliver specified designs on time
- Ensure innovation and best practice is highlighted and adopted where practicable
We want to hear from you if you have:
- A HNC/HND or BTEC in a relevant discipline. A Degree qualification is desirable but not essential
- The ability to use the relevant technical software in the discipline, including; AutoCAD 2D and 3D
- Experience/awareness of Highways England's Design Manual for Roads and Bridges and Manual of Contract Documents for Highways Works
- A track record of successful design project delivery
- The ability to problem solve in collaboration with clients