Lead UX Designer, Digital - Flexible Working Available
- Up to £55,000 per annum on a full-time basis, or part-time with a salary paid on a pro-rata basis
- Permanent appointment
The Natural History Museum's purpose is to inspire a love of our natural world and to help unlock answers to the big issues facing humanity and the planet.
Our digital strategy and presence support this purpose, we promote what’s on at NHM, encourage learning and active participation, and share work from our scientists - our successful online magazine is read by people from across the world. In addition, we’d like to encourage our online audiences to support the museum through donations and membership. We aim to provide exceptional online experiences for our diverse audiences, from scientists to schools, from those who visit NHM and to those based overseas who are curious about nature and science.
We’re looking for an experienced UX&D lead, to join our fab digital team to help to make the Museum's public-facing digital experiences amazing, intuitive and memorable.
What will you be doing?
You’ll work within the Digital department, at the iconic Natural History Museum in South Kensington, London. You’ll work closely with Digital and departments across the Museum. Our department is made up of cross-functional product teams consisting of UX and digital designers, product managers, developers and content producers. You’ll lead a fab team of two, a UX Designer and Visual Designer, to create seamless, user-centric and accessible experiences.
As a department we have a culture of sharing and learning, we share what we’re working on at our monthly All Hands meeting. There are opportunities to develop expert skills and we share knowledge from courses at departmental talks. We also go for the occasional lunch together.
We're looking for a passionate, experienced, proactive person who wants to work collaboratively, sharing examples of best practice and ideas. For the successful candidate, we would be willing to consider this role on a part-time basis.
What are we looking for?
- Enthusiasm for working as a UX design specialist within a cross-functional team, along with experience in line management and developing team members
- Ability to think strategically about the contribution of UX & design to the overall product and prioritise, i.e. to assess where UX & design can deliver the most value to users in the least amount of time
- Experience with all stages of design, from discovery through to delivery and a variety of user research and testing methods
- Ability to advocate with empathy, not just for your users, but also for your colleagues and stakeholders, and a belief that process is a tool, not a goal
- We’d love you to have an appreciation for science and the natural world
Closing date: 9am on Monday 27 January 2020