EHV Cable Design Engineer
Amey Consulting- Power
Amey provides a major design capability in electrical transmission and distribution services for 400kV through to 11kV substations. We have over 20 years of experience in this sector; and offer services through the entire project lifecycle from feasibility, design and construction of new substations and refurbishment and reconfiguration of existing substations.
Within the power market much of our work is carried out under long-term framework agreements with our network clients. Our professional services encompass power industry consultants, civil and electrical engineering disciplines, project management and planning. These are supported by all the necessary health, safety, environmental and quality management processes to ensure reliable and effective delivery.
What is the purpose of this role?
The Cable Systems Design Engineer (CSDE) will be reporting to the Head of Amey EHV Cable Systems and will be responsible for ensuring the quality and consistency of the cable/systems design output and the production of detailed drawings and technical documentation. The CSDE will provide engineering support to the EHV bid team and project managers by establishing the necessary technical system parameters of cable projects, (11kV- 400kV +HVDC) for tendering and installation purposes.
In a typical week you will:
- Prepare, check and/or approve feasibility studies, outline and detail design technical reports and other written documents.
- Identify and design fully compliant cable system solutions to meet customer requirements, by being familiar with all electro-technical aspects of cables, accessories and installations.
- Prepare and supply appropriate design packs containing all relevant system information for bid submission.
- Liaise with cable & accessory suppliers to obtain the most cost-effective supply price and to advise the bid team.
- Liaise with suppliers and clients to ensure that the latest technical information is held and to have knowledge of future developments.
- Provide technical support to Project Managers and other colleagues regarding approved methods of installation and specifications for non-cable components such as backfill, troughs and structural supports.
- Produce and approve design concepts, drawings, specifications and other technical documents.
We want to hear from you, if you:
- Achieved a BEng/BSc in Electrical Engineering or a relevant engineering discipline
- Chartered Engineer or working toward CEng status beneficial
- Ideally are TP141 authorised by National Grid, however not essential.
- Understand IEC 60287, IEC60853, IEC60840, IEC62271.
- Experienced in software packages such as Mathcad, CYMCAP, ERACS, etc.
- Experienced in using CAD packages such as, Micro station, AutoCAD, BoCAD, PLS CADD, etc.
- Proficient with associated cable technical specifications from clients such as National Grid, SSE, Scottish Power, UKPN, WPD, etc.
At Amey Consulting you have a unique opportunity to bring truly ground-breaking work to life by working alongside market-leading consultants in a practical infrastructure environment.
You will be surrounded by a team of people who want you to grow and embrace new challenges, who also care about your job satisfaction and well-being. You'll be stretched but always supported to bring out the better in you and to create better places for everyone.
We believe that we are what we do.
It's more than just wanting to do better.
At Amey we're proud to be the better