Company Secretary - Part Time
As the UK’s leading social impact investor, our role is uniting capital, expertise and ideas for better lives. Working with expert partners, we seek to understand people’s needs first. Then, using our knowledge and capital, we collaborate and invest with fund managers who also want to create a better, sustainable future.
They, and the social enterprises and charities they invest in, create the impact. Our role is to bring the most relevant experts from our network to the table, generating ideas and connecting capital to where it’s most needed.
We want to give more people and communities the chance to have an impact on the issues they care about – from affordable homes to vulnerable older people, and preventing mental ill health.
In this way, we create opportunities for investors and enterprises to generate systemic social change, not just today but for generations to come.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
This is a vital and varied role, working with a supportive CEO and Chair to provide a Company Secretarial service across all Big Society Capital’s Boards and Committees, comprising the:
- Main Big Society Capital Board
- Audit, Risk and Compliance Committee
- Nominations and Remuneration Committee
- Valuation Committee
- Executive Committees
- Advisory Board
- Big Society Trust Supervisory Board (compiling and presenting Big Society Capital reports to this body)
You will ensure that Board and Committee members receive the support and advice necessary for them to discharge their duties. This role is critical in enabling Big Society Capital to remain true to its mission to improve the lives of people in the UK through investment.
You can find out more about Big Society Capital’s governance structure on our website.
As Company Secretary you will:
- Ensure the effective servicing of all the above-named Committees and associated meetings. This will include organising annual and additional meetings, preparing agendas, collating papers and ensuring their timely distribution. You will also attend meetings, prepare minutes and follow-up on action plans.
- Monitor follow-up action taken after the meetings, keep a rolling agenda and maintain Board and Committee records (including papers, minutes, the reports considered and of delegated authorities)
- Develop a close working relationship with Chairs and Members for the designated Boards and Committees and act as first point of contact for these Chairs and Boards in all matters relating to governance and company secretarial work. Develop and maintain good relations and contact with key executives and managers who provide reports to the Boards/ Committees
- Manage the process for appointments and elections of Board and Committee members, including the timely rotation of Directors
- Support development of the Board and Committee members, including identifying relevant and appropriate training and mentoring opportunities
- Be called upon to advise management on Big Society Capital governance issues and support governance review initiatives including administration of the processes involved
- Assist in the preparation of Annual Reports, Statutory Returns and the presentation of governance information on the Big Society Capital website
- Maintain statutory records and registers (in particular, with Companies House)
- To present on Big Society Capital governance to external audiences, including to foreign delegations exploring similar models for organisations to use dormant accounts or to promote social investment
- Other such duties as may from time to time be allocated by the CEO, Board or Committee Chairs or other nominated persons
- Company secretarial in a regulated environment
- Organising and administering Board meetings, Committees and events
- Working in complex organisations, dealing with senior management and multiple stakeholders
- Legal background
- Social Sector knowledge and contacts
- Related degree or legal qualification
- Experience in a financial institution regulated by the FCA (preferably for an asset manager)
- Membership of ICSA (Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators)
Skills, Abilities & Attributes
- Communicating complex issues to diverse stakeholders: understanding social, financial and government sectors
- Flexibility - able to adapt and respond to change
- Understanding terminology related to investment
- Understanding of the political context and how it affects social impact investment
- IT competent in the MS Office suite.
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal, influencing and communication skills
- Proven ability to see the wider strategic picture in a practical context
- Creative thinker, but grounded in the delivery of business outcomes
- A strategic mind balanced with an ability to focus on detailed tactical challenges
Salary and terms of employment
- This is a permanent, part-time role (3 days a week), open to flexible working
- All applicants must have an existing Right to Work in the UK
- Salary - £70,000 - £80,000 pro-rata (depending on experience)
- Big Society Capital is committed to being a diverse organisation that is truly representative of the communities we serve. We are an equal opportunities employer with an inclusive environment where all employees can contribute to their fullest potential.
- 25 days holidays (plus bank holidays and additional closure days). Allowance increases with length of service
- Season ticket loan
- Pension of up to 11% employer contribution
- Flexible working options
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Private health and life insurance policy
More searches like this
- Accountancy, Banking, Finance Part Time Flexible working available Permanent jobs in London (Central)
- Administration, Secretarial & PA Part Time Flexible working available Permanent jobs in London (Central)
- Charity & Voluntary Work Part Time Flexible working available Permanent jobs in London (Central)