Trainee Train Driver - 4 days per week
Do you want a rewarding role that offers solid career prospects?
Have you got excellent communication skills and a passion for people?
Are you flexible, adaptable and willing to learn?
At Thameslink & Great Northern, we’ve modernised the way that we operate services for our passengers. Throughout 2020, we will be looking for enthusiastic individuals with great interpersonal skills to join our team of train drivers that deliver over 3600 journeys per day.
What’s the job like?
- Learning – Be ready to hit the tracks (on your own!) within 12-15 months. Become an expert by undertaking structured classroom-based learning, state of the art simulator training and one-on-one driving lessons.
- Hours – 35 hours a week, 4 days a week. You’ll know when your days off will be, so you can plan how work fits in with your family and other commitments.
- Customer Service - Have the opportunity to provide excellent customer service to thousands of passengers every day, keeping them updated and informed of their journey.
- Responsibility - Be responsible for the safety of our customers, helping them get to where they need to be - safely and on-time.
What’s in it for me?
- Salary – The starting salary is £30,965 rising up to around £61,000 once qualified
- Benefits – 24 days holiday per year, an excellent pension scheme, free travel across our networks and 75% discount off other train service providers.
- Career Development – We’ll give you the support you need to progress your career and grow your skills.
- Health – We’ll provide you with periodic health checks to ensure that you stay fit and healthy whilst working for us.
- Culture – Our team is incredibly diverse. Women and men from all walks of life drive our trains.
If you’re positive, friendly and able to keep a level head whilst handling a range of different situations, this may be the career for you. Click below to apply!
Before you begin your application, take a moment to consider your strengths. What are the qualities you have that will make us want to hire you for this position? Whatever they are, make sure they’re clearly spelled out in your application. How could you apply you skills and knowledge at GTR and in this position?
Our recruitment process consists of several stages, starting with online tests through to a series of nationally recognised assessments.
GTR are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age*
*Due to safety regulations, you must be aged 21 or over when you begin your training.
Note: As a Trainee Mainline Driver you will automatically be enrolled on the new national Train Driver Level 3 apprenticeship programme when you join the Company. You do not require any previous qualifications, but it is highly desirable for candidates to hold a Level 2 qualification in English, Maths and ICT to achieve the apprenticeship qualification. The apprenticeship scheme is a yearlong qualification and you will train alongside other successful applicants at our Training Academy.