Communications Adviser - Flexible Working Available
Looking for a communications and advocacy role that’s broad ranging, interesting, and has the potential to make a difference to how the insurance industry is perceived?
We are looking for a strong all-round communications professional to support us with developing and delivering key communications and campaigns for the ABI across our world-leading insurance and long-term savings industry.
Working with the Advocacy Manager, this role plays a central part in delivering campaigns to improve diversity and inclusion in the sector. We also expect the post-holder to have the opportunity to work on campaigns around tackling climate change, showcasing our efforts to drive regional growth and encouraging more people to prepare financially for retirement, as well as other areas of corporate communications.
These are vitally important areas for society, and we are looking for an excellent communicator who can bring enthusiasm and creativity to the task, delivering engaging content, using visuals and story-telling to bring issues to life.
We offer excellent benefits, including heavily subsidised gym membership, lovely modern offices and the chance to work with a dynamic and friendly team.
You can find more on our diversity and inclusion work here.
Please note we are open to applications from those who wish to work on a flexible and/or job share basis.
Reporting to the Advocacy Manager, your day to day role will include:
- Delivering a range of high-profile communications campaigns and projects that focus on our diversity and inclusion priorities.
- Leading the ABI’s annual review reporting process by developing engaging digital content to communicate the ABI’s key achievements to members.
- Developing the content, briefings and interactive sessions for the ABI’s award-winning Future Leaders programme.
- Collaborating with colleagues on a variety of outputs associated with diversity & inclusion – this will include coordinating events, commissioning research, responding to consultation papers and representing the ABI with members and stakeholders.
- Overseeing the ABI print and production process to ensure quality, consistency, and efficiency in managing the budget administration.
- Preparing, editing, and delivering various ABI member communications, including the Director General’s weekly newsletter.
We’re looking for:
You’ll be a strong all-round communications professional who enjoys getting to grips with a wide range of complex issues and be good at generating ideas for getting them across to our different audiences. You’ll be energetic and good at working with people from lots of different teams.
Former knowledge of the financial services sector may be helpful but is not essential; a strong ability to explain important topics to people in a clear and engaging way is a must-have.
Throughout the interview and assessment process, we will be looking for you to demonstrate the ABI’s values; We are Brave; We take Ownership; We are Appreciative; We are Human and We are Curious. For more information about what these mean to us, please visit: https://www.abi.org.uk/about-the-abi/careers/our-values/
For applications, the minimum requirements are:
- Prior and demonstrable experience of either strategic communications, marketing campaigns, stakeholder engagement or public affairs.
- Experience of managing and delivering projects or campaigns.
- Experience of developing compelling digital content and contributing to or managing social media campaigns.
- Ability to get up to speed with complicated policy issues and developments quickly.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, and the ability to develop clear and concise messages tailored to a range of audiences.
- Enthusiasm for building and managing effective and positive relationships with members and external and internal stakeholders.
- The ability to think creatively and strategically and synthesise often complex and competing issues.
- Strong team working, excellent interpersonal skills and the confidence to work proactively with colleagues, stakeholders and senior leaders to get results.
- The ability to plan and prioritise work effectively and meet deadlines under pressure, whilst showing flexibility and initiative.
- Excellent research and analytical skills and an evidence-based approach to decision making and problem-solving.
- Ability to manage several complex work areas simultaneously and independently.
- Willingness to be proactive, flexible and adapt to changing work demands.
What training and benefits are offered?
On your first day you’ll be met by our HR team for a full company induction. You’ll then have inductions to get you up to speed with anything from Events to how our finances work, plus one to ones with relevant colleagues. Everyone goes on an introduction to insurance course and will receive plenty of on the job training. We host various Staff Learning Events throughout the year and you will be able to attend relevant ABI and industry events.
Additional training will be tailored to your own personal needs and aspirations and we have a range of courses as part of our Learning and Development offering.
More detail on our company benefits can be found here.
Please apply with your CV and cover letter. The deadline for applications is 30 March 2020.
Please note that as part of your application, we may ask questions regarding your background to support our commitment to maintaining diversity and inclusion in our workforce. This includes building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce in encouraging equality and diversity. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary and the information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. Access is limited to only relevant and necessary staff members. You can find out how we use your personal information by reading our candidate Privacy Notice and how we use information you may voluntarily disclose regarding your background by reading our Summary of Legitimate Interest: https://www.abi.org.uk/about-the-abi/careers/abi-candidate-privacy-notice/.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Committed employer and as such, we:
- Are partnered with Vercida who provide an accessible website accredited by The Shaw Trust. Our jobs can be viewed on Vercida here.
- Are committed to making reasonable adjustments to our recruitment process as required for disabled candidates. To discuss in more detail, please contact email@example.com. We will also check this with you should you be invited to interview
- Offer an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum requirements for a role. If you believe this may apply to you, you will be able to indicate this on your application form. Please notethat there may be occasions where it is not practicable or appropriate for us to interview all disabled people who meet the minimum criteria for the job. In certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, we may need to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people.
The ABI is the voice of the UK’s world leading insurance and long-term savings industry. A productive, inclusive and thriving sector, we are an industry that provides peace of mind to households and businesses across the UK and powers the growth of local and regional economies by enabling trade, risk taking, investment and innovation. The UK insurance industry is the largest in Europe and the fourth largest in the world.
It is an essential part of the UK’s economic strength, managing investments of over £1.8 trillion and paying nearly £12bn in taxes to the Government. It employs around 300,000 individuals, of which around a third are employed directly by providers with the remainder in auxiliary services such as broking.