Research Analyst - Flexible Working Available
The role of the research department is to convert consumer and market information into concise insights and strategic recommendations to help drive ‘Discovery EMEA’ to gain a clear competitive advantage.
With the ongoing global disruption in media, Discovery Inc. must navigate a rapidly changing environment to reach viewers how, when and where they want and propel continued growth. In today’s fast-changing consumer landscape, it is vital to keep abreast of emerging trends and the drivers that underpin them.
Collaborating closely with the wider research team, this role will divide its time between content research and other requests including analysis of the portfolio’s performance.
This role reports to the Content Research Manager and collaborates closely with the Senior Director of EMEA Insights, the wider EMEA Product team and research colleagues across the EMEA markets. The role is part of a small, skilled research team. As well as working on its own initiatives that are closely aligned to the business needs the team supports multiple departments across Discovery EMEA.
The core focus of the EMEA research team is to support best practices decision-making around international content and to identify, understand and communicate consumer trends with the potential to impact and drive our global business. The team also supports senior stakeholders and central teams with high-level, cohesive reporting of our international portfolio.
- Develop an understanding of content, broadcast, media and consumer trends to ensure Discovery’s global business is well positioned for future growth
- Support the Content Research Manager in the multi-market analysis of programmes and genres across all platforms
- Support the Content Research Manager and other members of the team where required on ad-hoc projects, regular reporting and with requests
- Help measure audience consumption across platforms to develop a holistic picture of viewing across our products/brands
- Be responsible for responding to some ad-hoc requests for intelligence on performance of content or channels
- Identify, vet and mine third party sources of data and intelligence on the industry (including those we subscribe to e.g. Ovum, Stylus and those publicly available e.g. Thinkbox) across EMEA markets to support the business with data and insights
- Become expert at manipulating the suite of analytical tools available to efficiently mine data and deliver insight e.g. industry standard tools such as TechEdge and bespoke Discovery ones like our people meter data Dashboard
- Disseminate learnings in a meaningful, easily digestible way
- Build a robust knowledge of available audience measurement metrics (linear and non-linear) and business intelligence tools with responsibility for the production and dissemination of some regular reports and ad hoc projects
- Help build the department’s capabilities to extract knowledge and insights from data in various forms, keeping up-to-date in advances in data analytics and visualization
- Work both independently and with colleagues providing research support, when required, across the business including, but not limited to, production & development, communications, finance, advertising sales and marketing
- Support the EMEA research team in ideating innovative research projects that help the organisation understand and elevate loyalty among our audience and identify opportunities that help our brands differentiate their content
- Work collaboratively with other Discovery Research teams and lend support to their work streams when necessary
- Genuine interest in, and enthusiasm for the broadcast industry, long-form video content and understanding consumers and their viewing behaviours
- Proven aptitude for working with quantitative data and statistics
- The facility to provide insights driven analysis and to offer recommendations based on evidence and analysis
- Experience in a media research or media planning role (linear or non-linear) is highly desirable or a role with highly relevant transferable skills
- Experience and demonstrated facility in learning and using analytical software and platforms (e.g. MicroStrategy, TechEdge, StarTrak, Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics, Facebook Insights).
- Good knowledge of Microsoft software packages, particularly Microsoft Excel is essential
- Knowledge of SAS, SPSS, and/or SQL as well as experience using data visualisation tools like Tableau or PowerBI are a plus
- Excellent data visualisation skills
- Ability to interpret data from a range of sources and bring insight to life in an engaging manner
- “Self-starter” mentality, with the ability to work independently as well as to work effectively as part of a team
- Able to build productive inter-department relationships and work collaboratively
- Strong project management skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks at the same time and plan, prioritise and complete work accurately and deliver to deadlines
- A persuasive and articulate communicator, able to express complex issues in plain language. Fluent and compelling written and oral communications skills, particularly in English. Other language skills are desirable but not essential
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree (preferred degrees include those which demonstrate an aptitude for numbers including: economics, psychology, mathematics, data science, computer science, finance)
- Welcomes and understands the challenges of being a global company and embraces the cultural differences among consumers around the world