Deputy Director, Group Finance
Our ambition for the BEIS Corporate Services Group is to provide customer centred, professional services that focus on the needs of the end-user.
Contributing to this is the Finance and Portfolio Directorate which operates as a strategic partner to BEIS, ensuring that the department uses its resources wisely at all times to deliver ministers’ strategic priorities. As the Deputy Director, Group Finance you will be part of the Finance and Portfolio Senior Leadership Team, reporting to Tom Taylor, BEIS Chief Financial Officer.
This is a high profile and stretching finance leadership role. You will be responsible for finance business partnering and financial management across a number of Director General (DG) groups, covering a diverse and exciting range of policy issues and programmes.
You will also play a part in helping to shape and deliver the forthcoming Spending Review for BEIS.
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate success in the following areas:
• A track record of success in a finance leadership role. Specific experience of public sector finance is not essential, but you will be expected to develop a strong understanding quickly.
• Ability to build trusting relationships with senior stakeholders and influence them with impact and professional credibility.
• Excellent strategic awareness and an ability to influence decision making in a political context.
• Ability to provide insightful analysis on complex issues and communicate this effectively to a variety of audiences.
• Evidence of delivering at pace under challenging circumstances.
• Ability to inspire, motivate and engage teams to deliver high performance and build capability.
We are looking for a self-starting individual who can gain credibility with senior officials such as DGs and Directors in order to play an important and active part in the strategic direction of BEIS.
EssentialThe successful candidate must be a fully CCAB qualified accountant. (i.e. ICAEW, ACCA, CIPFA, ICAS, CIMA or CAI)
• Developing a good understanding of the strategic priorities of the groups’ business areas and building credibility and influence with senior stakeholders internally (particularly DGs and Directors) and with partner organisations (at CFO level).
• Leading the provision of professional financial advice that increases the economy, efficiency and effectiveness of the groups’ policies and programmes, including communicating this effectively to senior stakeholders to influence decision making.
• Adding value by using strategic acumen and insightful financial analysis that is respected by decision makers.
• Ensuring robust stewardship of, and accounting for, public money, underpinned by effective planning, risk management and internal controls.
• Championing a culture of collaboration and improving financial capability and understanding across business areas.
• Leading and motivating a diverse team of around 20 people, including through development of their skills, capability and careers.
• Playing a positive and active role in the leadership and development of the Finance & Portfolio Directorate and the Department as a whole, including through specific corporate contributions.
Please take time to read the attached Candidate pack for further information about this role and the recruitment process.
Can you confirm you are fully qualified in one of the following qualifications? ICAEW, ACCA, CIPFA, ICAS, CIMA or CAI.
BEIS offers a competitive mix of benefits including:
A culture of flexible working, such as job sharing, homeworking and compressed hours.
Automatic enrolment into the Civil Service Pension Scheme.
A minimum of 25 days of paid annual leave, increasing by 1 day per year up to a maximum of 30.
An extensive range of learning & professional development opportunities, which all staff are actively encouraged to pursue.
Access to a range of retail, travel and lifestyle employee discounts.