Trainee Train Driver Apprenticeship- Talent Pool 2021
West Midlands Trains has been proud to support our key workers during the national pandemic by delivering safe and reliable journeys for essential travel. We are now preparing for the future and commencing to build our talent pools once again and seeking motivated and responsible individuals to join us as a Trainee Driver, on our Level 3 Train Driver Apprenticeship based at Bletchley depot from 2021 onwards.
Individuals must be committed to the demands and completion of the apprenticeship programme and will also need to have the ability to complete Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths, English and ICT along with meeting all requirements outlined against our train driver operational standards below, which will be checked during the selection process:
- Live within 60 minutes travel time to the depot applied for
- Be 20 years of age or over
- Completed at least 9 years education (Primary and Secondary) as stated in the train driver license and certificate regulations. Applicants who have not included full details of this on their application will be rejected.
- An ability to follow set rules and procedures within a safety conscious environment.
- The ability to work shifts over a 24-hour period over 7 days (your own transport would be advisable due to shift start and end times).
- Willing to undergo a full medical, including a drug and alcohol test.
- Have a minimum height of 5’2” and a maximum height of 6’4”.
- Has not received any treatment of laser eye surgery.
Following a sift against the criteria listed above, to be successfully offered a position, candidates will need to meet our standard and criteria within each stage of the process, outlined below:
- Situational Judgment Test (SJT) online assessment
- Application sift to ensure criteria of is met
- Recorded video interview
- Driver industry standard assessments for West Midlands Trains
- Interview with driver management
- Full medical including drug and alcohol
In addition to the above, internal candidates will also undergo internal checks which will consist of a full check of absence in line with MFA, line manager reference of performance and conduct within your current role, review of any safety incidents which have occurred, and any live and previous disciplinaries. (These will be reviewed and considered by your current line manager and future line manager.)
Candidates cannot have multiple applications in process for various locations. Please only apply for the relevant depot to you. Any candidates who already have an application in process are not required to re-apply.
In addition to a competitive salary West Midlands Trains offers a wealth of benefits including free travel on Abellio trains for you, your partner and dependent children, 75% discount on other train travel over most of the UK rail network, access to an Employee Recognition and Benefits Platform, development opportunities to help further your career with West Midlands Trains, and a defined benefit salary pension.
Under the Rail Safety and Standards Board (RSSB) guidelines any candidates who have been unsuccessful with the industry tests will need to wait for a period of 6 months prior to re-applying again. Candidates who have failed the industry assessments twice, are not eligible to apply.
We anticipate receiving a high volume of applications and reserve the right to withdraw this advert at any time, therefore please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. Due to the high volume please expect a delayed response with an update to your application and please refer the attached FAQ’s to answer any queries you may have about the process and timescales.