Director of Strategy
Background and Context
This is an exciting opportunity to join the National Audit Office and play a pivotal role in delivering our new strategy, developed following a wide-ranging review into the role and purpose of the NAO.
In this role you will work closely with the Executive team and the Board to monitor delivery of the NAO strategy and ensure we have a forward horizon scanning capability that enables us to respond early to changes in the external environment in which the NAO operates. You will be responsible for managing the annual review of progress against our five-year strategy, annual reporting and planning cycle.
To be successful in this role you will need to think creatively within the context in which the NAO operates. Energy, enthusiasm and new ways of thinking are required along with a collaborative nature and the ability to work effectively with a broad spectrum of people – both externally and internally.
- Be a credible and effective thought leader aware of relevant external developments, trends and opportunities (eg in the public sector and public auditing) and draw on this knowledge to inform our strategic thinking;
- Oversee the operational planning process at the NAO. This includes effective policy, guidance and training so that detailed operational plans align with the strategy;
- Support the learning and development of our people through supporting personal development plans, and involving them in identifying good practice
- Build effective working relationships across the NAO corporate services, and financial and value for money audit teams
The people we are looking for
We are looking for a candidate who has a passion for making a difference when it comes to how public money is managed. Someone who has a thorough understanding of public service delivery and ideally the audit and assurance market, and who also understands how the NAOs work can bring about positive change.
Specifically, candidates will need to show:
- Enthusiastic leader with strong motivational skills, energy and drive - adapt at building capability, developing talent and diverse teams, and who can support all colleagues to deliver great work and achieve their potential
- An understanding of business reporting, performance measurement and good governance and risk management principles in a public sector context
For full details of the skills and capabilities, please refer to the full job description below.
Please submit an up to date version of your CV, along with a covering letter, setting out briefly why you are suitable for this role.
The closing date for applications is noon on Friday 31 July 2020.
We expect interviews to take place and for the selection process to be completed before the end of September. Further details of the selection process will be given to shortlisted candidates.
The NAO supports flexible working and is happy to discuss this with you at application stage.
Please note, you must be a UK, Commonwealth, EEA or Swiss national to comply with Civil Service nationality rules and must hold a valid work permit. We are not able to sponsor work visas.