Commercial Relationship Advisor – Rail
Do you have experience of managing end to end procurements and supporting major transactions?
Are you able to build strong working relationships with clients and manage their requirements?
If so, we have an exciting opportunity for a Commercial Relationship Advisor to join us at the Department for Transport and we’d love to hear from you! We are looking to recruit a highly motivated, forward-thinking individual who can lead procurements within their contractual delegation from strategy development through to contract award and contract kick off.
This is an exciting opportunity to gain a strong working knowledge of an exciting commercial environment, regularly involving deals of significant contractual value as well as delivering benefits to the national infrastructure, major rail links and the public.
We are a close working team, who provide each other with support to deliver the primary interface between the business and the services delivered by Group Commercial Directorate and its delivery partners such as Crown Commercial Services. The post holder will be providing support to customers in Rail Group and High Speed and Major Rail Projects Group, and DfT’s associated bodies.
In this role no day will be the same, you will have the opportunity to work on a very diverse range of areas. Your role will include ensuring that robust processes are in place over commercial affairs of the DG Groups and that commercial projects are successfully delivered to support the Department’s and Government’s aims and objectives. You will also support complex transactions and commercial activities in Rail Group and High Speed and Major Projects Group ranging from small to multi-million-pound procurements, leading some of these, and ensuring that every contract signed has been through appropriate assurance activity. You will have a delegated authority of £5,000,000 subject to experience.
• Manage procurements with a delegated authority to sign off advisor procurements , STAs and Direct Awards under the value of £5,000,000 (Subject to experience)
• Produce a clear procurement pipeline across the Client Group and develop a programme of activities – ensuring that customers’ needs are pro-actively planned and matched with the capability and availability of the market.
• Ensure that contracts are embedded and are fit for purpose ensuring that robust contract management practices are in place and that standards, controls, training and guidance are consistent and effectively managed by the client teams.
• Follow-up enquiries from Rail Group and High Speed and Major Rail Projects Group and other associated body’s clients to ensure that prompt and timely responses to queries and questions raised by all stakeholders are addressed.
• Co-ordinate and support pre-procurement Supplier events.
• Manage the procurement pipeline and contract management system
• Monitor spend within the Rail Group and High Speed and Major Rail Projects Group and other associated bodies and support savings and efficiency reviews of Rail procurements
• Produce and report key targets and performance issues to key stakeholders.
• Risk management – ensure risks are identified and that mitigation actions are defined and managed.
• Draft briefings and support responses to Parliamentary Questions and Freedom of Information responses.
For more information about the role please see the attached role profile.
We are looking for some with exceptional stakeholder engagement and relationship building skills which enable you to influence and challenge constructively at all levels. You will thrive managing a varied and challenging workload and welcome autonomy to your role. You are someone who is proactive in their approach with attention to detail. You will have good analytical skills and be able to spot trends and inconsistencies in data and information.
To be successful in this role you will need to have:
• Experience of managing end to end procurements and supporting major transactions
• Demonstrate sound commercial judgement and a good track record of decision making balancing risk and commercial outcomes
• Experience of pre-procurement market engagement
• Experience of managing and interacting with suppliers
• Experience of interaction with clients and managing their requirements.
• Good understanding of trends and business drivers that influence business decisions
• Experience of developing dashboards and reports
• Contract management experience
In addition, the successful candidate will hold a procurement qualification e.g. MCIPS (or be working towards procurement qualification) or demonstrating an equivalent level of experience. In the event that neither of the above is the case, the candidate must be prepared to commence their MCIPS immediately.
We are part of the Department for Transport (DfT). DfT is a great place to work, and our ‘one team’ approach really makes a difference. We value our staff and that’s why we’re committed to nurturing an inclusive environment across the Department.
You’ll be part of an innovative organisation that invests in all our people, ensuring we have the diverse skills to deliver transport that moves Britain ahead now and into the future.