We are the UK's aviation regulator and recognised as a world leader in its field. Our activities are diverse, enabling the aviation industry to meet the highest safety standards, and we pride ourselves on our ability to adapt to the constantly evolving aviation environment.
We are looking for an experienced senior economic and regulatory finance specialist to join our Economic Regulation and Competition Policy (ERCP) team.
ERCP have responsibility for economic regulation, including the price control arrangements that apply to Heathrow Airport Limited (HAL) and NATS En Route (NERL).
This is a particularly significant stage of our work on developing the framework for the economic regulation of both HAL and NERL.
You’ll be playing a meaningful role in driving forward policy on key issues during a time of uncertainty for the aviation sector.
As a Senior Economist you will coordinate consultants to ensure they deliver value for money as well as supervising and reporting the costs for projects you are running.
Key responsibilities include:
- Estimating the cost of capital including developing the analysis vital to highlighting the impact of Covid-19 on financial markets
- Calculating the level of allowed return for airports and air traffic navigation service providers
- Coordinating the work we do with our development of the regulatory framework, including the analysis and assessment of incentive arrangements
- Building and translating analysis into persuasive, high quality presentations for the programme and CAA main boards and other partners
- Writing high quality drafts for consultations and policy documents
It’s essential to have experience of economic regulation at a senior level with a specialist understanding of the economics of financial markets.
We would like you to have worked across various sectors, airports, other regulators or in a consultancy.
Additional skills required:
- Expertise and experience in cost of capital estimation
- Wider expertise in developing the regulatory policy with respect to financeability and incentives
- Ability to translate technical financial and other issues into explanations and analysis that will win the hearts and minds of non-technical audiences
- Proven track record of influencing Board level partners
What Can We Offer You?
You will be joining a hard-working team that includes economists, lawyers, accountants and aviation specialists, all seeking to deliver our regulatory duties and secure the best deal for consumers. As a key member of this team, you will have opportunities to work with a range of team members and across the organisation at a senior level to steer how we regulate HAL and NERL for years to come.
Given the impact of Covid-19, it’s likely that you will work remotely to begin with as we plan for a return to work within the government guidelines.
Working With Us
We offer a range of fantastic benefits such as flexible working arrangements, free onsite gym at Gatwick, discounted gym membership for London, 28 days annual leave, additional 5 days leave purchase scheme, a competitive pension scheme and much more!
Wherever possible, we offer flexible and variable working hours to help our people effectively manage all areas of their lives. We are an equal opportunity employer and actively encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.
As a member of the Disability Confident scheme, applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a role with us will be guaranteed an interview. We use fair and inclusive selection approaches to hire the best person for the job based on merit alone. If you require an adjustment for any reason, please let us know.
Closing Date: 7th August 2020
Interview Date: Two stages, mid to late August 2020
Please note that due to the current Covid-19 situation, all interviews will be conducted online by video conference using Microsoft Teams.