Design Manager - Level 2
Would you like to work for one of the most successful and secure companies within the UK Construction and Infrastructure industry with a vision to be a market leader across all of the sectors in which we operate?
Morgan Sindall provides national construction and infrastructure services to private and public sector customers across a comprehensive range of markets. We aim to create great results for our customers, partners, ourselves, and our employees.
With talented people as the key to our success we operate a culture whereby personal and professional development are at the forefront of our efforts to attract and retain the best people in the industry.
We have a fantastic opportunity within our Energy & Water business for an ambitious and talented Design Manager.
This role is required to Support Pre-Construction team with design management and design reviews during bidding process and contract development.
You will ideally have previous demonstrable experience in infrastructure design from a contractor perspective.
- Manage the design aspects of tenders and projects at pre-construction stage.
- Lead and provide a professional, comprehensive and sustainable design service for the customer and key partners and suppliers at bid and delivery stages
- Manage and coordinate the overall design process challenging the brief and bringing innovation and continuous improvements benefits to the projects at bid and delivery stages
- Ensure completion and compliance of design management departmental procedures at bid and delivery stages
- Involvement with ‘design strategy’ and approach
- Set-up and agree design management regime with the design team
- Ensure adherence to the design brief/scope of service and develop a comprehensive scope of service for key stages of project
- Programme and manage all design reviews and coordination meetings
- Ensure that fully coordinated design programmes are produced that integrate with the agreed project programme and that the programmes are regularly monitored for progress and updates
- Monitor progress against programme, and report to the project team
- Establish the need for and input into design reviews
- Ensure that design is developed in line with commercial and construction requirements and the cost plan budget allowances
- Coordinate the activities of the design team, contractors and statutory bodies (for example local authority planners and building control/HSE) in line with programme critical dates
- Coordinate change control system and ensure changes are accounted for, authorised and implemented, as necessary, with the project manager and customer
- Experience of creating contract scope documents.
- Sound knowledge of NEC contracts.
- Proven ability to value engineer and offer alternatives.
- Industry knowledge of Water and Energy would be very beneficial
- Able to use and navigate Common data environments such as Viewpoint for projects and work to BS1192.
- Strong negotiation and People Management skills
- Design Management experience in transmission
Already experienced as a design manager you will be educated to degree or HNC/HND level or equivalent in a relevant technical discipline and you will be a member of an industry recognised professional institute (eg. CIOB). You will have experience on both single stage tenders and preferred terms work and you will have a sound knowledge of Infrastructure.
About the Energy|Water Team:
Our teams work within energy and water sectors helping customers make the most of their existing assets as well as building new assets to continually improve the UK’s infrastructure. We do this by putting our customers first, using innovative ideas and challenging the status quo.
Building on strong performance for the last 5 years the Energy|Water team have based our business strategy on becoming a UK wide market leader in our chosen sectors by strengthening our existing long term customer relationships, and carefully targeting new customers in order to further develop our already healthy order book in line with our growth targets.
We have secured and are delivering a portfolio of frameworks and one off projects across the whole of the UK and are currently targeting a number of exciting, key opportunities to improve our business well into the future
Morgan Sindall is an equal opportunities employer and has been accredited with the Positive About Disabled People ‘Two Ticks’ accreditation. We are also an Investors in People company.
Morgan Sindall is unable to employ anyone who does not have the legal right to live and work in the UK.
In the recruitment process all applicants are required to provide the necessary right to work information and documentation.