Operational Readiness Lead
This is a fantastic time to join West Midlands Trains as we improve our passenger’s journeys. As part of the wider Abellio Group, West Midlands Trains Ltd, operates as a joint venture - West Midlands Railway and London Northwestern Railway, delivering over 1,300 safe and reliable services per day for more than a 60 million passengers per year. Since the start of our franchise in 2017 we have been committed to improving our services, investing a whopping £1 billion into the region’s network, £18million in the development of all our workforce.
We are looking to recruit an Operational Readiness Lead based at our Head Office, Birmingham to ensure that all operational aspects of the New Fleet introduction and existing fleet modifications are correctly addressed, and the Fleets are introduced on time and in budget.
As the Operational Readiness lead within the WMT New Trains programme governance structure, you will lead, plan and coordinate a range of operational activities associated with the introduction of the new class 196s and 730s throughout acting as interface between the project teams and the WMT and external functions. In addition you will be responsible for ensuring that all operational processes and documentation required to support the introduction of the new trains are in place appropriately assured.
The role will give you the opportunity to travel within the UK to WMT locations across the network and influence stakeholders to encourage active support and mitigate resistance to project objectives. Through your understanding of railway operational roles and their interdependencies you will communicate with colleagues in a language and style that they are comfortable with avoiding unfamiliar terms and references.
You will bring with you the following skills and experience:
- In depth knowledge of Network Rail and Train Operating Companies within the route and the key aspects of their business, including knowledge of control systems forming part of the integrated control solution for WMT and adjoining areas
- Demonstrable experience of leading large readiness workstreams in similar programmes
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to work under pressure and produce accurate time critical information
- Experience of the processes involved in implementing the introduction of new traction types
- Experience of managing interdepartmentally to achieve goals
- Excellent engagement and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- A self-starter, with the ability to ‘hit the ground running’
- Highly organised, flexible, able to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- An ability to identify problems and build relationships
In addition to a competitive salary West Midlands Trains offers a wealth of benefits including first class travel on Abellio trains for you, your partner and dependent children, 75% discount on other train travel over most of the UK rail network, access to an Employee Recognition and Benefits Platform, development opportunities to help further your career with West Midlands Trains, and a defined benefit salary pension as well as an opportunity to participate in the company's health scheme.
Applications will be considered from colleagues with 6 months experience after completion of their probationary period and a full check of absence and disciplinary records.