Senior Human Factors Researcher
About The Role
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Human Factors Researcher to lead research and consultancy projects in the transport and road safety domain.
You will lead and be involved in a variety of research projects for UK and international private and public sector clients in areas as diverse as driver and operator behaviour, vehicle ergonomics, vehicle automation and road safety all with the aim to provide innovation and solutions to our clients’ problems.
The position can be based from our Head Office in Berkshire, or from our offices in Birmingham and Edinburgh. We are happy to consider applications from those who require remote / flexible working, but all applicants must be willing to travel to the office or to customer sites when required.
Key Duties / Responsibilities
Your work will be varied and include:
- Directing and leading multi-disciplinary technical teams.
- Designing and creating methodologies for usability trials.
- Running on and off road trials and those using our suite of driving simulators.
- Capturing and analysing user experience data.
- Preparing captivating reports and presenting findings to internal and external stakeholders.
You’ll be part of our team of behavioural scientists and human factors researchers who work closely with colleagues from a wide range of disciplines in TRL including data analysts, statisticians, vehicle safety and regulation experts, engineers, environmental scientists and more.
Skills & Experience
To be considered for this role, you will need to demonstrate that you have the following:
- Proven experience in leading and delivering complex human factors related research projects that turn findings into solutions that exceed client needs.
- Significant experience in user and stakeholder engagement.
- Proven experience in technically directing and leading multi-disciplinary project teams.
- A commercial and customer-oriented attitude.
- Flexibility and adaptability to take on projects and activities outside your area of expertise.
- Experience of technically developing and mentoring other staff, encouraging them to learn and take on assignments in your area of expertise.
- Experience within the road transport or transport industry would be highly beneficial.
- Experience in conducting research using driving simulators.
- Technical bid writing and preparing responses to client invitations to tender.
- There is an opportunity that this role would line manage a team of up to 8 scientists, therefore, experience and interest in people management and development would be desirable.
- A graduate degree in Human Factors, Ergonomics or related discipline.
- A postgraduate qualification and chartered membership of a recognised Human Factors body would be highly desirable
Excellent communication skills and an ability to present research findings both verbally and in writing to senior level private and public sector clients in a captivating and inspiring way.
At TRL we offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Support for professional memberships and study
- 25 days annual leave
- Life Assurance cover and Group Income Protection
- Matched contribution pension scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Onsite parking and EV charge points (Head Office)
- Flexible benefits package