Senior Software Developer
Want to do the best work of your life? With 24 million customers in 7 countries, make your mark at Europe’s leading media and entertainment brand. A workplace where you can proudly be yourself; our people make Sky a truly exciting and inclusive place to work.
This role is an exciting opportunity to join us and work within our Home Communications Software Team. Home networking and communications is key to the success of Sky’s next generation of customer services. Delivering a high-performance stable broadband offering, together with a leading in home connectivity solution, Home Communications products will underpin the future for delivery of these services. Ensuring the seamless integration across a range of diverse products and technologies is required to ensure that Sky’s world class and award-winning products always embrace quality, ease of use, clarity of purpose and always have the wow factor.
What you’ll do:
- Software component development, integration and debugging
- Track new developments against an agreed development plan and provide status reports to the team leader
- Track defect fixes against an agreed development plan and provide status reports to the team leader
- Provide input into the planning for delivery of a new product or feature
- Provide technical input into software architecture design
- Identify technical changes necessary to realise specific project requirements
- Escalate, where necessary, project and technical conflicts
- Contribute to technical investigations, identifying and applying creative problem-solving methods and debugging techniques
- Perform in-situ debugging at customer or field trial locations as necessary
- Contribute to the identification, development and rollout of improved software engineering practices
- Contribute to the specification and selection for any necessary tools required for enabling software delivery
- Work with 3rd party partners and suppliers to integrate their solutions into Sky products
- Potential work stream lead focussing on a specific delivery work stream within an overall project
- Provide a supportive and mentoring attitude to less experienced members of the software team
- Work directly with the development lead and Head of Software in the enhancement of processes and methodologies to deliver continuous improvements
What you’ll bring:
- Delivery of Embedded software
- Technical knowledge of Linux Architecture covering, Bootloaders, Kernel, MTDs, Driver, File Systems and User space
- Software development in embedded products and systems
- Expertise in embedded C
- Expertise in multitasking embedded Linux
- Expertise working with large, complex codebases
- Strong debugging network applications using network diagnostic tools/methods
- Experienced in the creation and maintenance of project documentation
- Issue management experience using defect tracking tools
We’re the team behind the infamous Sky products line-up. From Sky+ to Sky Q. From hardware and software to intricate design. Could you help us turn an idea into the next big thing? As a team, we’re collaborative, empowered and innovative – together, we’re proud that everyone’s favourite Sky products are #MadeByUs.
There’s a reason people can’t stop talking about #LifeAtSky. Our great range of rewards really are something special, here are just a few:
- Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place
- A generous pension package
- Private healthcare
- Discounted mobile and broadband
Where you’ll work:
Our location takes some beating: we’re practically in Brentwood station, which has regular trains to London Liverpool Street. If you find it easier to drive, there’s some onsite parking, while Chatham Way car park is a short walk away.
Recognised as an ‘Inclusive Top 50 Employer’ and a ‘Times Top 50 Employer for Women’, we’re working hard to ensure we’re a truly inclusive place to work. This means we don’t just look at your CV. We’re more focused on who you are and the potential you’ll bring to Sky. We also know that everyone has a life outside work, so we’re happy to support you as much as we can with flexible shift patterns.
And we’ll do everything we can to support you during your application. If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.
Apply now to build an amazing career and be part of a brilliant team. We can’t wait to hear from you.
To find out more about working with us, search #LifeAtSky on social media. A job you love to talk about.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, we’ll ask you to complete a criminal record check. And depending on the role you have applied for and the nature of any convictions you may have, we might have to withdraw the offer.