Who we are:
The Humane League UK is a charity ending the abuse of animals raised for food by influencing the policies of the world's biggest companies, demanding legislation, and empowering others to take action. We're a mission-driven, energetic team focussed on problem-solving and effective teamwork, and have grown significantly over the last few years. Thanks to our targeted approach, our effectiveness in reducing animal suffering and our efficient use of donations, The Humane League has been named Top Charity by the independent evaluator Animal Charity Evaluators for every rating period.
We are seeking a Finance Officer to make their mark in ending the abuse of animals raised for food.
We will be holding a webinar on Tuesday 30th March at 8pm for you to find out more about the role and ask any questions you may have. If you’re interested, please register here. As it’s a webinar you’ll only be able to see the presenter and not others watching.
Who you are:
This role is ideal for a well-organised, self-motivated individual with a keen eye for detail to work within our Operations team, part-time (two days a week), overseeing the financials of the charity. This is an exciting opportunity for a talented individual to contribute towards ending the abuse of animals raised for food.
Reporting to the Head of Operations, the successful candidate will be passionate about The Humane League’s mission. You’ll have the ability to work independently and as a member of a team in a fast-paced environment and be able to prioritise and manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently.
You’ll need to be efficient and meticulous. You should have experience and relevant qualifications in invoicing, banking, budget preparation and accounting. You will have the ability to handle time-sensitive tasks and administer all accounting operations to meet legal requirements.
- Assisting in the preparation of budgets
- Managing and keeping accurate records and receipts
- Reconciling monthly and yearly transactions
- Preparing balance sheets
- Processing invoices
- Update internal systems with financial data
- Track bank deposits and payments
- Review and implement financial policies
- Being a key point of contact for other departments on financial and accounting matters
- Supporting the Head of Operations and Managing Director with projects and tasks when required
- Proven work experience as a Finance Officer or similar role
- Solid knowledge of financial and accounting procedures
- Experience using financial software such as Xero
- Advanced MS Excel skills/Google docs
- Knowledge of financial regulations in the charity sector
- BSc degree in Finance or Accounting
- Knowledge of charity sector laws and regulations
- Professional qualification as a CFA/CPA is considered a plus
- Time-management: You use your time productively and efficiently. Delivering budgets, accounts and projects on time.
- Analytical and numerical skills: You have a careful and systematic approach with a keen eye for detail when handling numbers. You are able to reflect on your own work as well as the wider consequences of financial decisions.
- Communication: Ability to write, present and speak clearly and effectively. Must be a good proof-reader. Ability to safeguard confidential information and perform with a high level of discretion, professionalism, and integrity.
- Accurate: with an excellent level of attention to detail you produce budgets and other financial documents with a high degree of accuracy.
- Problem-solving: Forward-looking thinker who anticipates needs, actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions with strong decision-making capability. Must be self-directed and able to plan and coordinate many projects simultaneously, often working with ambiguous guidelines.
- Strong Initiative: You are able to assess and initiate work independently, solve problems that others may not have noticed need solving, and take the lead without requiring support.
Good to Know:
Our employees all work remotely but still enjoy a supportive, collaborative environment. You will have access to a workplace pension, 25 days leave plus Public Holidays, flexible working hours, internet reimbursement, and family-friendly policies. Professional learning and development is actively encouraged.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive environment and being an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of colour and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all applicants will receive unbiased consideration for employment without discrimination based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status. To enable us to monitor our progress, we would be grateful if you would complete the short anonymous survey that will be sent to you after you have completed your application.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding accessibility, contact us and we will endeavour to work with you to make adjustments throughout the process.
At The Humane League, animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work and as such, many of our employees are vegan by personal choice. All of our events and workshops offer only plant-based meals.
All applicants need to be:
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Live and have the right to work in the UK (we are unable to consider applications from those without the right to work in the UK, and proof will be requested prior to interview)
- Committed to our mission to end the abuse of animals raised for food
Closing date: 18th April 2021
Don’t forget to sign up to the webinar on Tuesday 30th March at 8pm (UK time)
You will hear from us after the application closing date passes. Once your application has been received and reviewed and we want to take it forward, our thorough interview process will follow this route:
- Screening Interview (via audio call)
- Skills Test (completed remotely)
- Second Interview (via video call)
- Final Interview (via video call)