Applied Scientist - Returner Programme
Returners at AWE
AWE are excited to launch our first Returner Programme, in partnership with workingmums.co.uk, which is designed to support experienced professionals return to their field following a career break.
The programme will be a 1 year fixed term contract on either a full or part time basis with the possibility of transitioning into a permanent role at the end of the contract.
Location: Reading / Basingstoke area. This role will be based on site at AWE.
This is an excellent opportunity to apply your skills and knowledge to play a key role in the detection and characterisation of radioactive materials in a wide range of challenging scenarios.
You will improve the understanding of radiation detection systems and their components as well as the fundamental physics processes. This role will entail assessing the processes that occur within detection technology and systems through experimental testing, the use of models, developing new systems and methodologies, and reporting/presenting results to internal and external customers.
We are particularly interested in hearing from candidates with experience or knowledge in the field of radiation detection and detector systems, associated data acquisition and relevant mathematical/numerical modelling, although this can be learnt on the job.
Essential criteria and experience required:
- Minimum 2 year career break from your profession
- Commitment to the 1 year contract
- Degree level knowledge of a scientific discipline or equivalent science based experience
- Ability to plan and manage the delivery of own work or that of a small technical team
- Ability to provide technical input within own field of expertise that can influence project or team activity
- Ability to manage specialist equipment and develop and define specialist research processes to deliver solutions to technical problems
- Ability to communicate information and data to colleagues both verbally and written
What we can offer you:
- A bespoke training programme offering access to internal training resources
- A range of flexible working hours are available
- Opportunity to build a strong network within AWE Access to a range of networks
- Mentor and buddy to support you at work offering support throughout your return to work
- Opportunity to play a part in keeping our country safe and secure
All candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work in designated areas.
We expect to hold interviews week commencing 7th June 2021 with a programme start date of October 2021, subject to satisfactory pre-employment checks.