Swindon Head Office, Greenbridge
HR at WHSmith never stands still, we’re a fast paced, ever changing retailer and our HR teams are some of the key facilitators for everything we do.
We now have an exciting opportunity for a HR Advisor to join our central HR team, based in Swindon with flexible working.
As a HR Advisor you will be reporting into the ER Manager and will become part of a talented HR Advisory team that provides expert advice and guidance on all things related to HR policy and practice, delivering a first-class customer service to all colleagues across our UK & International Store operations.
As an important member of our HR team, you will have previous experience within a similar HR role, be a confident communicator over the phone and via email and have a ‘can do’ attitude. This is a fast paced role dealing with high volume queries so being able to remain calm under pressure is an important trait. The ability to support staff who are based remotely is essential.
What you will do
• Advising on all employee relations matters, such as performance management, grievance and disciplinary issues and long-term sickness absence
• Be able to manage HR cases through to completion including; Disciplinary, Grievance and Absence Management
• Keeping fully up to date with all developments in terms of employment legislation and employee relations issues
• Maintaining company policy and procedure accordingly
• Provide ER support and related initiatives and training
• Shaping policy and other employment-related documentation as part of the ER Team
• Developing and sustaining good business relationships to promote good employee relations across the wider business
• Become a trusted Advisor
Who we are looking for:
• Experience in providing guidance, expert knowledge within a complex business operating model
• Experience of taking the lead on managing complex ER cases and providing the necessary advice
• Ability to contribute and drive continuous improvement throughout ER practice and policy
• Strong up to date working knowledge of employment law and experience in contributing to the research and development of employment policies, procedures and practices
• Excellent knowledge of ER procedures and processes
• Experience of working on own initiative within a demanding environment with the highest professional standards
• Experience of TUPE and other change management projects
• Excellent judgement with a logical, meticulous and pragmatic approach to decision-making
• Highly adaptable with excellent interpersonal and influencing skills, with the ability to gain others’ confidence quickly.
• Ability to gain commitment, drive things forward, be highly organised and ensure that deadlines are met.
• Involvement in or delivery of training
• You will also be required to support the Employee Relations Manager with ACAS early conciliation claims and Employment Tribunal cases so experience of dealing with these is desirable
What’s in it for you?
We’re a company that values our people; from day one you will receive ongoing support and have access to our various training and development programmes as well as exciting career development opportunities for your future. We offer a wide range of benefits to say thank you for all your hard work including; a competitive salary, a profit related bonus, 24 days holiday plus your birthday off, pension, as well as other perks such as our popular holiday trading scheme.