WORKSHOP ASSISTANT & MACHINIST - Flexible Working Available
We’re here to unite the conditioning community. We believe that putting the sweat in today, prepares us for tomorrow. So, we give people the tools they need to reach further, go faster, be stronger. We celebrate those who show up – for themselves – to be their physical or mental best, whatever that means for them. It’s what we want for our community, and our team. A team that’s growing rapidly around the world. A collective of talented individuals working together to invent Gymshark’s future. Our plans are ambitious, and we’re looking for people who want to join us for the ride – our growth will be your growth.
Are you our next Workshop Assistant & Machinist? We’re looking for someone to join our Innovation team, to help drive business impact for all product areas of the business. Someone who wants to be part of a team that lifts each other up; a team that fails together and celebrates together. Someone who likes each day to be different, the challenge of doing things differently, and the freedom to figure things out for themselves. We work hard, sure, but we have a laugh while we do it. Sound like you? Here’s the role up close:
Gymshark recognises that we can only grow by investing in true Innovation. This is a role where the incumbent will be responsible for helping drive and support projects aligned with the Innovation strategy roadmap.
We support the strategic and tactical needs of our internal clients with highly flexible, tailored and innovative bespoke solutions to help drive real business outcomes.
You will be responsible for managing and creating viable concepts for new ideas that disrupt and excite our customers and business. You will lead and support the team that creates prototypes and samples and provide technical expertise to the inline team and business. You will help with key relationships, internally and externally, and ensure they are maintained. You will have technical skill and management ability; ensuring all the products are built with precision, quality and on time.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
- You will know how to operate and work all machinery within the workshop
- If demand for prototypes is great, you will use the machinery yourself to meet demand
- Conduct and maintain health and safety and all relevant risk assessment standards for each piece of machinery
- Manage the work booked in, the flow through and the feedback going through the workshop
- Track and forecast any potential flow issues to ensure work is produced on time and to expectations
- Forecast and anticipate the needs of the innovation and inline teams and report regularly on effective workflow
- Manage the team working within Knit and Stitch, and any other persons using the workshop. You will ensure the team work together to produce samples e.g. machinist working with pattern cutter etc
- Manage the maintenance of all machinery
- You will manage inventory of materials, order componentry and check it is in place in order to make samples requested
- Lead and support the generation of prototypes for Innovation projects on footwear, apparel, accessories
- Monitor quality control in prototypes, e.g. measurements, appearance, function etc. You will give feedback to teams on recommendations for improving the brief in to/ out of the department
- Ensure project plans are created in relevant software to deliver projects on time in full. Present regular project updates with clear plans on deliverables of project status
- Understand and anticipate the need for change, diagnose the underlying issues and build the case for change with stakeholders
- This is a creative and technical role, where you will need to demonstrate a clear talent for both. Excellent creativity, communication, presentation, trouble shooting, time management and analytical skills are required
- Build and maintain close communication with relevant counterparts across the different departments, ensuring an all-inclusive approach You will need to be able to manage conversations where concepts booked in are not achievable whilst still being able to protect relationships
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Experience in a workshop, sample facility or factory environment
- Proven skill from a commercial environment in creating prototypes on machines such as apparel, footwear and/ or accessories
- Have management experience
- Be highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and other platforms
- Able to create and make early prototypes by ‘hacking’ together resources and materials they source and identify, to show believable ‘works like’ and ‘looks like’ prototypes.
- Proficiency in all aspects of the manufacturing process, with particular skill for understanding how to rapidly test and learn
- You understand how things work and how they are made commercially in all or one area of apparel, footwear and accessories
- Must be capable of collecting, tailoring and applying measurement and information to meet a specification
- Be self-motivated, be proactive going beyond the call of duty, have a keen eye for detail, be result-oriented, and have an ability to work stay calm under pressure and in uncertainty inspiring the same in the team
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with both technical and non-technical colleagues, translating complex concepts into simple terms where required
- Strong project management and prioritisation skill
- You are a naturally curious thinking, self-driven character with a passion for understanding athlete and consumers meeting their needs.
- Commercial awareness and a creative problem solver with the ability to think laterally and understand the cost and value drivers within a competitive business environment.
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity and gravitas
- Excellent creativity and making skills
- Industry knowledge of product solutions with the view of pushing the boundaries
- Be aware of current and emerging manufacturing technologies and processes in apparel, footwear and accessories
- In-depth understanding of managing a workshop environment related to product development
Here are some of the perks we offer:
🙌 Competitive ‘Win Together, Lose Together’ Bonus
🩺 Full private medical insurance with no excess
🏖 25 days holidays + your birthday and all the Bank Holidays which can be substituted and taken whenever you want.
💻 A truly Flexible Working Culture
👥 A collaborative, creative and inspiring working environment
💰 Employer pension contributions up to 7%
🤩 Life Assurance at four times your basic salary
🦈 50% Gymshark Discount
🎁 Gymshark Gift Card for each year of service
🥇 Financial, Physical and Mental Wellbeing Support
📚 Great Training and Learning Resources
🖥 Choice of hardware and access to the best software
🤒 Paid time off when you’re physically and mentally unwell
🧸 Very Generous Family Leave package – we support you extending your family
GS Campus Perks:
🍎 Refuel - Healthy fresh food at GSHQ
🏋️♂️ Lifting Club (LC) Gym Membership
👉 Free monthly massages
💈 Beauty and Barber facilities
🚘 Free on-site parking