We have an exceptional opportunity to recruit a highly motivated and ambitious Bid Manager to join our pre-construction team in Gateshead. The successful candidate will be able to provide leadership and management throughout the bid process and motivate the team to help secure the future pipeline of work for the North-East region.
Willmott Dixon is driven by our customers' aims and aspirations, delivering outstanding work, providing a great service and excellent value for money. To this day we remain family-owned and take pride in our core values. We are passionate about people and have a real focus and drive around continuous development; this has been proven by our 5th placed ranking in the 'Times Top 100' best companies to work, Times Top 50 employers for women 2020 as well as our platinum award for 'Investing In People'. Having the right talent, coupled with the right culture and values, ensures that we have a sustained future, a trusted brand and offer a career of a lifetime!
Reporting to the Preconstruction Manager, the successful candidate will demonstrate true leadership and manage both internal and external resources to deliver successful bid submissions, on time, within budget and to the highest quality, ensuring our customers' expectations are met and, wherever possible, exceeded.
With a proven track record of successful projects, you will be responsible for leading single, two-stage and framework tenders for projects ranging in value from £5m to £30m across a range of sectors, including Education, Leisure, Commercial, Blue Light and Health. At Willmott Dixon we operate through a number of frameworks, allowing for a greater probability of seeing your hard work come to life.
As a Bid Manager, you will be responsible for:
- Motivating and leading a bid team that includes both internal (estimators, design professionals, MEP professionals and planners) and often external (supply chain and consultants) resource
- Coordinating inception workshops with our customers and use your proven listening skills to ensure we truly understand our customers 'Why', gaining vital information that will enable your bid team to go the extra mile
- Managing the customers' expectations through informal and formal 'health checks', adopting a professional and considerate approach to maintain good working relations
- Developing and incorporating project strategies in order to achieve the company's sustainability objectives
- Ensuring regular monitoring and reporting on progress, managing potential risks and opportunities, and instigating pre-emptive and corrective actions as required
- Maintaining continuous professional development of yourself and your team to ensure appropriate technical awareness, implementing best practice and driving continuous improvement
- Maintaining a 'one team' approach throughout to create a seamless transition from preconstruction to operations
The skills / experience you will need as a Bid Manager include:
- A proven track record of the successful planning and delivery of bids and tenders
- Good technical knowledge across the construction process with strong commercial acumen
- Accurate interpretation of contract documents, programmes, drawings and technical specifications
- The ability to lead and motivate teams that include both internal and external resource, with diverse technical input
- Outstanding customer and stakeholder service and management
- Experience of using Microsoft suite of Office programmes, inc. Excel, Word, Outlook and Project
- Valid driving licence
- Relevant degree
- Professional membership, e.g. MCIOB, RIBA, RICS etc.
- Experience of using ASTA Power project planning software
The personal qualities that the successful candidate will have include:
- A great team player with a motivated approach to leadership
- Model behaviour that shows respect, helpfulness and cooperation
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Customer focussed with excellent communication skills, including listening and engaging
- Capable of organising and prioritising workloads to meet project deadlines
- Reliable, dependable and conscientious to the team and to the company values
- Being able to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
- A willingness to think differently and challenge the status quo
- A real desire to deliver outstanding results
In return: We reward our people generously with a competitive salary and a market-leading benefits package that gives you flexible benefits to fit your lifestyle and priorities. This includes but is not limited to, an enhanced pension scheme, discounted or full private medical, life assurance, incentive bonus and a car scheme which will make us a market leader in sustainable company travel. Applicable roles will benefit from a motoring expenditure allowance (MEA) and everyone can access a new generation of low carbon and electric cars via the Willmott Dixon run car leasing scheme.
At Willmott Dixon we provide an inclusive and flexible working environment for people to thrive in and we are happy to support agile working wherever possible.
We are a proud member of the Disability Confident Scheme.
Willmott Dixon is a privately-owned contracting and interior fit-out group with a local regional presence throughout the UK. Founded in 1852, we are family run and dedicated to leaving a positive legacy in our communities and environment. Our passion is to create spectacular outcomes for our customers in the knowledge that our projects have a hugely beneficial impact on the UK's economic growth and prosperity.
We are also passionate about our people and have a real focus and drive to support their continuous development. We strongly believe that this passion is what differentiates us and has allowed us to enjoy considerable success in recent years, underlined by placing 5th in the 2020 Sunday Times list of Best 100 Companies to Work For - better than any other construction company. Times Top 50 employers for women 2020 as well as our platinum award for 'Investing In People'
Add to that our numerous other awards, including three Queen's Awards for Enterprise in five years; our industry-leading approach to sustainability - we have been carbon neutral since 2012; and a strong financial position, with 100% UK turnover and no bank borrowings…we believe we truly can offer a career of a lifetime.