Commercial Manager (Quantity Surveyor)
As part of the expanding portfolio of design and consultancy contracts within the Amey Consulting business we need to provide an enhanced & expanded level of commercial support to our service delivery team in Area 13 together. This is an exciting opportunity to develop the commercial function across a high profile contract with a key client.
In this role you will be responsible for the day-to-day commercial and contractual functions on a variety of projects in the Highways Sector with projects ranging from £200 to £250k. Reporting to the Senior Commercial Manager, the position requires working closely with commercial and operational colleagues, finance, design leads, suppliers, clients and the Senior Management for this account.
The role requires a proactive approach to the management of the contract, implementation of commercial & corporate policy, close & effective liaison with colleagues and the need to form strong, open working relationships based on trust & integrity.
Based in our Preston office and supporting our Penrith office, with occasional travel to other offices such as Birmingham; all subject to the resolution of the current national travel restrictions.
Qualifications and Experience
- Commercial related Degree or equivalent is desirable
- Qualified or working towards RICS, CICES or equivalent professional qualification
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products, especially Excel (essential) and Word
- Experience in providing commercial support to design and consulting and/or highways contracts (especially under NEC forms) would also be advantageous
- Experience of successful main contract management supporting
- Experience in supply chain procurement, management and accounting
- Appreciation of the records, approaches and options for dispute resolution and avoidance
- Experience in commercial and financial budgeting and reporting
- Understands and promotes an inclusive working environment
What will this role involve?
- Bidding - support the Senior Commercial Manager (SCM) in analysing Invitation to Tender documents, contracts and contracting scenarios, supporting the production of commercially advantageous pricing & delivery strategies
- Contract Knowledge - implement and drive consistency of commercial processes both pre and post Contract for contracts.
- Applications & Value - collate, prepare and process the monthly application for payment, working with the client commercial team to resolve any queries in month to ensure costs are maximised. Work alongside the Account Manager (AM) and Programme Delivery Manager (PDM) to maximise value on jobs, highlight areas of poor performance and margin
- WIP & Debt - minimise WIP and understand any reasoning behind aged WIP. Monitor late payments and utilise all necessary means to ensure payment dates are met from clients and debt is recovered.
- Supply Chain Management - work with operational and procurement teams to ensure supply chain agreements are compliant terms and are managed in accordance with such terms
- Change Control - support operational and commercial teams in ensuring all commercial entitlements are realised. Ensuring all contractual notices and early warnings are submitted within the required timescales
- Risk & Opportunity Management - support day to day project risk management. Understand if financial provisions need to be included within P&L accounts
- Reporting - liaise with project managers to review and submit monthly forecasting data to the client. Provide month end comparison against actual to support the PDM and AM in managing delivery.
- Financial Performance - ensure all external contracts and internal trading arrangements produce forecasted turnover and margin through contractually compliant applications for payment and invoicing
We're all originals here and our individuality is an asset. We have unique backgrounds and personalities, which means we all bring different ideas to the table. But we do have one thing in common: we all take personal pride in our public service. With every drop of water and spark of electricity we supply, with every bolt we tighten and with every guiding golden nugget of advice, we better manage the services that we all use and rely on every day, ensuring every household in Britain benefits from our work.
Amey is one of the top five support services suppliers in the UK. We employ 16,000 people, have a turnover of £2.1bn and a strong forward order-book. Every household in Britain benefits from the work we do. We maintain the UK's road and rail infrastructure, keep schools safe and clean, manage the UK's defence estate, safely escort prisoners and keep prisons and courts secure. We also collect and process waste, as well as deliver utilities services. All of this is underpinned by our leading consulting capabilities which uses engineering design and data analytics to better manage the services we all use and rely on
As one of us, you can really be you because your individuality is an asset. You're surrounded by a team of people who want you to grow and embrace new challenges. People who care about your job satisfaction as well as your wellbeing. There'll be experiences as original as you are, in a career that can feel like many rolled into one. You'll be stretched but always supported. Whether it's working on the biggest bridge in the country, learning to get to grips with the latest technology, or just working with a great group of people every day, you'll find what gets you out of bed in the morning at Amey.