Project Support Officer - Part Time
The Pirbright Institute
The Pirbright Institute delivers world-leading research to understand, predict, detect and respond to viral disease outbreaks. We study viruses of livestock that are endemic and exotic to the UK, including zoonotic viruses, by using the most advanced tools and technologies to understand host-pathogen interactions in animals and arthropod vectors. Our major strength in understanding the immune systems of livestock provides a platform to control current diseases and respond to emerging threats.
Our Institute is made up of a dynamic and vibrant community of staff covering a diverse set of chosen fields, backgrounds and experience. We all play a crucial role in furthering the Institute’s aspirations, advancing the frontiers of science and knowledge through our excellent scientific research, knowledge sharing and contribution; with a real focus in improving the world in which we live. Our outlook is always balanced by our strong sense of purpose, values and behaviours and an unwavering commitment to a ‘one Institute’ approach.
Organisation position and purpose
The Pirbright Institute is delivering a large scale capital development programme involving the development and construction of government funded laboratories and related infrastructure. The Capability Directorate has developed an internal team to support the projects and act as a liaison between the contracted suppliers and the client body. This team is made up of full-time staff and staff whose time is split between supporting the programme and other Institute roles.
The role will be filled by someone that can bring their existing knowledge and expertise to work within and support a fast-paced project environment which is technical in nature (construction and science delivery).
Main duties and responsibility
Responsible for supporting the projects teams (Institute staff, Programme Management Office, consultants) in the delivery of the project / programme work including:
- Facilitate in the creation, monitor and control, update and distribution of project documents
- Organise and servicing meetings/workshops including arranging dates, issuing papers, taking minutes / updating actions and issues logs
- Aid in the identification of intra-project dependencies, actions or issues
- Maintain the information management system, electronically and in hard copy
- Provide process, coordination and general administration to support project and programme delivery
- Lead and implement agreed procedures for management of visitors / contractors to site, including visitor notifications, hosting, coordination and (room) bookings
- Lead and coordinate small-scale, discrete packages of work, as required
- Develop and support effective communication mechanisms across the DP Programme and between the project teams including diary de-confliction.
- Procure and place orders as requested by the project teams/PMO; process invoices and provide assistance to project managers/PMO in monthly cash flow reconciliation
- General administrative support to the programme/projects as required
Support to engagement across the Capability Directorate (meetings / presentations etc):
- Be proactive in supporting the liaison with other groups across The Institute
- Support the wider Institute projects such as capital projects
This job description is only an outline of the tasks, responsibilities and outcomes required of the role. The jobholder will carry out any other duties as may be reasonably required by his/her line manager. The job description and personal specification may be reviewed on an ongoing basis in accordance with the changing needs of The Pirbright Institute.
All employees shall actively participate in the Institute-wide quality assurance system in conjunction with the Institute’s Quality Manager. Employees are also expected to safeguard their own health and safety and security by following policies and all employees are responsible for the Health and Safety and security of staff under their management.
- Excellent interpersonal and team working skills
- Enthusiastic and pro-active, willingness to gain knowledge across the organisation
- Ability to prioritise own workload
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Flexible and adaptable approach to work
- Experience of working within a multi-project environment
- Experience of working in an administrative capacity for a project based team
- Ability to multi-task
- Excellent levels of IT literacy (incl. Microsoft Office. Excel, Power point and MS Project)
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- A proactive and resourceful approach to completing tasks and organising activities
- Logical problem solving skills and day to day problem solving
- Time management skills
- Project Management and/or PMO qualifications eg PRINCE2 Foundation, APM PFQ
- Project management and/or PMO techniques and methodologies
- Scientific degree (or equivalent experience)
- Experience of working within a construction environment and / or with design and construction teams
- Evidence of networking and influencing skills and the ability to build effective working relationships in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Ability to analyse and present information
- Use of web based applications and web sites
Due to the nature of the work we do, all successful applicants will be required to go through a comprehensive screening process including reference and qualification checks, financial and security clearances.
What we offer
- Generous Group Personal Pension Scheme and life cover (subject to age and earnings)
- 25 days annual leave per annum, pro rata, plus 10.5 public and privilege days
- Buy and sell annual leave
- Option to carry over up to two weeks annual leave
- Pirbright gym with subsidised membership
- Pirbright social club
- Pirbright Lifestyle Hub (employee discount site)
- Cycle to work
- Subsidised staff restaurant
- Childcare allowance
- Free onsite parking
- Electric Car charging facilitates
To apply for this vacancy please visit our careers page -Jobs | The Pirbright Institute
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, if you have not heard from us within one month from closing date of the vacancy, then please contact us on email@example.com for an update.
Please note we reserve the right to close the advert early.