Java Software Engineer
Java Software Engineer - Enterprise Data
Lloyds Banking Group
Bristol (please only apply if you can work 2-3 days per week in this office location post covid)
Salary & Benefits: £50,150 to £55,700 base salary, plus annual personal bonus, 15% employer pension contribution (when you put in 6%), 4% flexible cash pot, private medical insurance, 30 days holiday plus bank holidays. We also offer flexible working hours, agile working practices and regular home working.
Lloyds Banking Group is the UK's leading digital bank and biggest mobile bank with over 13.5 million active online customers across our three main brands.
We've placed digitisation at the heart of our strategy to become the bank of the future backed with an investment of £3bn over three years in our people, platforms and data capabilities.
A fantastic opportunity has arisen to join us as a Java Software Engineer on the LBG Retail customer database, known internally as Operational Customer Information System (OCIS) system, which is a critical Bank system that underpins many critical business processes.
You will be working within our Customer Data Services Lab team in a specialised, mainly Java focussed team.
Here's where you'll make a difference:
* You'll be supporting, maintaining and improving mission critical Java based systems with the passion to build a career and be recognized within LBG as an exemplar customer centric engineer on the systems you support.
* You can bring fresh ideas to enable us to optimize the way in which we work and achieve early value release for our customers whilst driving down the total cost of ownership of our products.
* You can support our agile adoption in the teams as part of the broader engineering community including the cultural aspects of agile as well as adoption of tools like JIRA & Confluence to visualise the work and drive democratised contributions.
* Collaborate successfully and deepen relationships across the Group with teams in UK (London, Manchester & Bristol hubs) and India
* Gain exposure to mainframe systems (Cobol) and develop a sound understanding of the system landscape.
* We'll encourage you to become an expert, a leader in your field, a go-to person with influence over tooling and quality control. You'll help set the direction for all software engineers within your area.
* We'll need you to be aware of industry changes to software products used in LBG and be able to suggest where we can utilize improvements to our advantage.
* You'll champion LBG values and behaviours and be committed to ensuring LBG achieves its goal of being the 'best bank for customers'.
What do you need to apply?
If you come from a prior financial services background that would be great, but we like people who come from other industry backgrounds as it brings new ideas to the team. As a minimum to be considered you will need:
*Previous software engineering experience and Java should be your main coding language.
*Problem solving capabilities ideally gained from a relevant software support / development environment.
*The capability to critique and peer review solutions ensuring software design is as robust, efficient and fit for purpose as possible.
*Experience working with relational databases and how business transactions are reflected
Technically we'll need you to have...
*Strong core Java knowledge (Spring, Hibernate, JEE)
*Confluence/JIRA Agile toolsets.
If you also have experience of JAVA services running under WebSphere / Liberty Core, C and Scala then this would be a bonus.
Desirable but not essential will be…
*Mainframe systems written in COBOL. Some exposure to PL1/assembler would be helpful but not essential.
*Online systems running in CICS.
*IBM MQ series
*Endeavor software configuration management system.
*Compuware tooling (Topaz, XPEDITOR, FILEAID, Strobe etc).
*Batch applications running under IBM TWS.
With our breadth, reach and diversity, we can offer excellent opportunities for career growth and development. And we are looking for people who can seize those opportunities; you'll get plenty of support but it's about taking the initiative, building relationships and making it happen. Do this and you can help us make a positive difference to our customers, our colleagues and our communities.
If the above sounds appealing, apply today we'd love to hear from you.