Assistant Commercial Manager - (Assistant Quantity Surveyor)
An opportunity exists for an Assistant Commercial Manager to join our prestigious portfolio of works with Amey Infrastructure Wales on the Wales and Borders contract with Transport for Wales (TfW). TfW is a delivery agent for the Welsh Government and exists to drive forward the Welsh Government's vision of a high quality, safe, integrated, affordable and accessible transport network that the people of Wales are proud of.
Focusing specifically on the Infrastructure Management area of the Core Valley Lines Network, , you will work with both the commercial and operational management teams to deliver a wide range of works through our Renewals Work Packages (c£12M pa).
As Assistant Commercial Manager (assistant quantity surveyor), you will play a role in the commercial delivery of the renewals project and report directly to the Commercial Manager; you will carry out all normal quantity surveying duties, comply with the Amey Values and ensure maximum recovery of all contractual entitlements.
- Provide commercial best practice to increase value and minimise risk and cost to Amey
- Assist in commercial processes to ensure contractual entitlement is realised
- Assist commercial processes for cost capture, valuation, procurement and reporting
- Assist in the Management of Subcontractor accounts in line with agreed subcontract orders
- Help prepare, review and evaluate pre-contract subcontract enquiries and quotations
- Prepare and evaluate risk management areas to support the project.
- Be accountable and responsible to the Commercial Manager for Renewals works
- Work within the strict deadlines required under the Contract(s) and as required by the Company
- Assist in full cost control of the project including providing and monitoring budgets and forecasts in conjunction with the Project Managers and Commercial Manager
- Assist in the preparation of weekly/monthly cost and value reconciliations and forecasts
- Assist and advise the Commercial Manager in ensuring timely issuing of all notices required under the Contract(s)
- Help identify the existence of any "claim" and "extension of time" situations in conjunction with other project team members
- Endeavour to ensure that all contemporary records are kept by the project team members for use in supporting claims, extensions of time, and the evaluation of variations
- Manage aspects of subcontract procurement and payment
- Assist in a culture of no commercial "surprises"
- Degree qualification (RICS accredited or equivalent) is desirable or working towards the same (on a part time basis perhaps), with ability to demonstrate experience in quantity surveying matters.
- Desire to attain an industry professional qualification in the future (RICS or CICES)
- Knowledge of commercial procedures and reporting will be required
- Commercial and financial experience.
- Ability to time-manage, set priorities and work to strict deadlines.
- Methodical style of working.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products especially Excel and Word.
- Team player
- Motivation and desire to succeed
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good communication and negotiation skills
- Some knowledge of construction contracts and awareness of industry issues
- Good health and safety awareness
- Ability to get stuck into challenges and learn
We're all originals here and our individuality is an asset. We have unique backgrounds and personalities, which means we all bring different ideas to the table. But we do have one thing in common: we all take personal pride in our public service. With every drop of water and spark of electricity we supply, with every bolt we tighten and with every guiding golden nugget of advice, we better manage the services that we all use and rely on every day, ensuring every household in Britain benefits from our work.
Amey is one of the top five support services suppliers in the UK. We employ 16,000 people, have a turnover of £2.1bn and a strong forward order-book. Every household in Britain benefits from the work we do. We maintain the UK's road and rail infrastructure, keep schools safe and clean, manage the UK's defence estate, safely escort prisoners and keep prisons and courts secure. We also collect and process waste, as well as deliver utilities services. All of this is underpinned by our leading consulting capabilities which uses engineering design and data analytics to better manage the services we all use and rely on
As one of us, you can really be you because your individuality is an asset. You're surrounded by a team of people who want you to grow and embrace new challenges. People who care about your job satisfaction as well as your wellbeing. There'll be experiences as original as you are, in a career that can feel like many rolled into one. You'll be stretched but always supported. Whether it's working on the biggest bridge in the country, learning to get to grips with the latest technology, or just working with a great group of people every day, you'll find what gets you out of bed in the morning at Amey.