Estimator (non Core)
Streets Ahead is a huge citywide highways maintenance contract between Amey and Sheffield City Council that is upgrading and maintaining the condition of the city's roads, pavements, street lights, bridges and other assets on or around the streets. It's the largest highway investment contract ever seen in Sheffield, worth over £2bn. It began in 2012 and runs for 25 years.
We are now looking to build capability within the Commercial Team and are hiring an Estimator who can bring experience of first principals and the highways/civils sector.
What is the purpose of this role?
- To prepare detailed analytical tenders and estimates, from first principles, within time constraints
- Lead the estimating process on individual Bids
- Support and mentor junior members of estimating team and contribute to Pricing Strategy
- Lead Tender review process and ensure all tenders are reviewed to identify lessons learnt - ensure that contract feedback is embedded into future beds.
What will this role involve?
- Assist with approvals process to ensure that all bids have the necessary approvals in accordance with company procedures
- Prepare detailed analytical tenders and estimates from first principles within defined timescales
- Ensure that estimating procedures are followed in the production of tenders
- Liaise with other members of the Estimating and Operational teams to deliver high quality estimates and tender submissions
- Maintain and update records of tenders, including change control
- Prepare a comprehensive briefing pack for the Operational Project Teams on all successful tenders
- In consultation with the Estimating Manager and the Operational Manager determine if any tenders cannot or should not be bid
- Participate in the detailed risk assessment process on all bids
- Ensure all tenders are fully reviewed by the Senior Manager/Director with appropriate financial authority
- Record time spent on each tender using the bidding time recording system
- Assist in the production of bids in other parts of Amey when necessary
- Support operational projects when required
- Act as bid manager where required depending on the value and complexity of the tender
- Generation of hand over packs and facilitate handover to Operations team
What are we looking for?
- Degree qualified in relevant engineering technical or commercial discipline is desirable but not essential as experience will be taken into account
- MRICS or equivalent
- Able to communicate programme and risk related issues to the bid planner
- Have knowledge of Customer standard forms of contract and their interaction with other standard forms
- Commercially aware and highly numerate
- Advanced Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products especially Excel and Word Knowledge of proprietary estimating systems is a distinct advantage although training in Estimating Software (e.g. Candy) will be provided if required
- Have the ability to communicate complicated financial and contractual issues to senior management
- Appreciation of relevant Safety rules will be an advantage, but training will be provided
- Good Health and Safety Awareness
- Must be flexible and able to work under own initiative with minimal support
We're all originals here and our individuality is an asset. We have unique backgrounds and personalities, which means we all bring different ideas to the table. But we do have one thing in common: we all take personal pride in our public service. With every drop of water and spark of electricity we supply, with every bolt we tighten and with every guiding golden nugget of advice, we better manage the services that we all use and rely on every day, ensuring every household in Britain benefits from our work.
Amey is one of the top five support services suppliers in the UK. We employ 16,000 people, have a turnover of £2.1bn and a strong forward order-book. Every household in Britain benefits from the work we do. We maintain the UK's road and rail infrastructure, keep schools safe and clean, manage the UK's defence estate, safely escort prisoners and keep prisons and courts secure. We also collect and process waste, as well as deliver utilities services. All of this is underpinned by our leading consulting capabilities which uses engineering design and data analytics to better manage the services we all use and rely on
As one of us, you can really be you because your individuality is an asset. You're surrounded by a team of people who want you to grow and embrace new challenges. People who care about your job satisfaction as well as your wellbeing. There'll be experiences as original as you are, in a career that can feel like many rolled into one. You'll be stretched but always supported. Whether it's working on the biggest bridge in the country, learning to get to grips with the latest technology, or just working with a great group of people every day, you'll find what gets you out of bed in the morning at Amey.