Junior Buyer (FTC 9 - 12 Months)
We have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Junior Buyer, based in our High Street Head Office in Swindon, directly reporting into the Trading Controller.
The main purpose of the role is to drive sales and ensure maximum profitability via front line margin and supplier support.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who is keen to work in a fast paced environment and will work well in a team. You’ll be organised, capable of managing complex information and supporting the category team in all areas of trading.
The successful candidate will have strong relationship skills as well as being confident when it comes to presenting data and analysing the figures.
What you’ll be doing:
• Buying responsibility for specific categories
• Support to the Trading Controller on all areas of category when required
• Line management of Assistant Buyer
• Negotiation of deals to drive income
• Select and develop profitable seasonal and non seasonal new ranges
• Generating new ideas on how to grow YOY Sales, margin and income
• Managing promotional activity across the categories
• Building up strong relationships with suppliers to deliver effective and profitable plans
• Working closely with the stock team to ensure all promotions and new lines are delivered on time and in full
• Able to deliver meaningful reports and cut through the information / detail in order to get to the real issue
• Keeping abreast of market trends and competitor activity in a fast paced environment, to help identify new opportunities as well as changes to our existing offering
• Working closely with other areas of the business including Operations, Marketing and Finance team
What we are looking for:
• Good depth of experience within a retail Buying role, ideally in a similar role/ background
• Confident and approachable
• Enthusiastic and excited about the product
• Able to work across teams (merchandising, marketing, operations etc)
• Net understanding of business (i.e. buying and stock)
• Strong presentation skills
• Good grasp of Negotiation
• Uses creative thought process – on product, promotions, displays, deals etc
• Ambitious - still a lot of room for growth on the category
• Excellent numerical capability
• Experience of using Microsoft Excel and functions such as Vlookups and Pivot Tables
• Proven track record of delivering strong levels of supplier income
• Remains calm under pressure
• Educated to degree standard or equivalent
What’s in it for you?
Whoever joins us always receives excellent training and development opportunities. You can also expect a competitive salary and excellent benefits that includes a profit related bonus, 24 days holiday, store discount card and childcare vouchers. For customer focus, career focused individuals this all adds up to a unique opportunity.