Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Technology Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Technology Office (CTO) business unit sits at the core of our business and focuses on innovative technology development and engineering. The CTO maintains a centre of excellence for technology and broader infrastructure-related innovation, translating market needs into core expansion programmes to enable market development. We ensure that Inmarsat’s products and services are constantly pushing the boundaries of satellite communications. The CTO team is responsible for delivering Inmarsat development programmes, including satellites and launchers, ground infrastructure (ground stations, networks, user terminals and access technology), regulatory, market access and product and service development.
Primary role purpose:
Working within the CTO division and as part of the Platform Engineering department, the successful candidate is required to initially work on key Inmarsat Edge device which is a platform to manage RF layer failover, host 3rd party applications, and maintain secure communications between the shore and edge via satellite link. The position may require development of data centre based application both on-premises and in AWS Cloud as well as developing Docker container based applications which will be deployed to and edge device over a satellite link. The successful candidate will be required to work in both an agile scrum team environment delivering software as part of our CI/CD pipeline whilst also helping to build our CI/CD pipeline capabilities. The successful candidate should be able to work autonomously and on own initiative.
The successful candidate will understand, interpret and adopt new technical information rapidly. They must have a demonstrable interest in new technologies and product innovation, and a practical understanding of the technology development lifecycle and be able to participate at the appropriate point in a matrix development process. They should be a seasoned and industry experienced professional with a full understanding of developing cloud or edge platform solutions.
The successful candidate will need to build and maintain relationships across teams within CTO and across different business units.
- Development of test automation scripts in Google Test, InfraTest or Gherkin/Cucumber
- Development of Docker Containers in Python/C++
- Maintain detailed documentation in Confluence
- Work as part of an Agile scrum team
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- A Bachelor degree or equivalent in relevant science or technology field
- Relevant industry experience
- Strong knowledge of C++ & Python
- Centos or Ubuntu Linux distributions
- JIRA, Confluence
- Experience building REST APIs
- Comprehensive experience and demonstrated expert knowledge in:
o An understanding of Agile development
o Knowledge of container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes)
o Understanding of JSON / XML data structures
o Familiarity working with automated testing frameworks (Cucumber, Gherkin)
o Use of Swagger for defining APIs;
- Excellent self and team awareness skills to guide interactions to the most positive outcomes.
- Able to drive an ad hoc team to the correct conclusions, even if individual members arrive with pre-conceived notions contrary to that conclusion.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Alpine Linux
- Google Test, InfraTest, Gherkin, Cucumber, Zephyr
- Knowledge of AWS
- APIgee API Gateway experience
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do