API Product Owner
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Operations Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Operations Office (COO) plays a vital role managing the services that keep our business running and delivering to our customers. COO consists of 9 functions including: Satellite Operations, Network Operations, Service Assurance, Service Delivery Aviation and Customer Assurance, Service Delivery and Supply Chain, Project Management Office, Global Cyber Security and Group IT
What is in it for you:
At Inmarsat we are innovating and using technology to support business strategy and customer needs. In this challenging and exciting environment there is an incredible opportunity to grow and develop your knowledge, while also being part of a growing team that is transforming how Inmarsat operates in the digital world. This is covering people processes, tools and technologies.
We want to attract the brightest and best people possible, we are committed to developing and retaining our people. This role can be located in either London, UK or St. John's, Canada.
Primary Role Purpose:
Inmarsat requires an API Product Owner to lead the support and implementation of APIs related to corporate applications and those which interact with Inmarsat’s customer offerings. As the API Product Owner you will work closely with internal and external customers to understand the bigger picture and find solutions. You will foster and articulate a deep understanding of our customer’s journeys and how it translates to API product offerings. This position will have a focus on API architecture, responsible for designing and implementing API solutions and strategy, API adoption process within the organisation, and defining the APIs. You will be a participant in governance forums and execute the API roadmap and strategy to meet our customer’s needs.
The role requires a technology enthusiast, experienced in decisive leadership along with demonstrable interpersonal and analytical skills. A key part of the role is to build exceptional relationships with our customers working closely with business stakeholders to understand what challenges the business is trying to resolve, enabling the successful candidate to deliver solutions that positively impact Inmarsat’s customer experience and working closely with key partners to help them effectively adopt and utilize available APIs.
- Engaging with customers to understand key requirements and support adoption of available APIs for wholesale and retail partners and customers
- Responsible for complex, enterprise-wide API projects that drive innovation and provide competitive advantages to the company's products or services
- Providing strategic leadership, vision and oversight for the development of IT APIs
- Accountable for defining and managing the execution of the value stream product features and delivery roadmap for Inmarsat that are aligned to KPI’s that measure the objectives of both internal and external stakeholders and customers
- Supporting business strategy by translating and forming a backlog of features and user stories for use by the delivery team
- Building and maintaining relationships with key business stakeholders ensuring architecture alignment across the organisation
- Contributing to the development, communication and implementation of policies, procedures, best practices, recommendations, and guidelines for standards
- Conducting significant competitive research and evaluation of enterprise technologies and vendor offerings to stay current
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- 5+ years’ current experience working within a complex software development environment
- 3+ years’ current experience working on a Scrum and/or Agile team and creating documentation for communication with varied audiences
- Deep understanding of business requirements elicitation pursuant to specific programs/projects involved
- Proficient in requirements gathering, business modeling, project scoping, and use case creation
- Expertise in utilizing standard documentation tools/utilities
- Experience as both a hands-on architect and a software engineer in the following domains:
- API management platforms such as Apigee, Strongloop, AWS API Gateway, Mashery etc.
- Database (SQL server/Oracle/MySQL/MongoDB/Cassandra)
- SOA, ESB, and Design patterns
- Knowledge and experience with CI/CD tools
- First-hand experience with AWS
- Leadership experience in architecting, developing and deploying API solutions in customer facing environments
- Ability to engage in deep technical discussions with customers and peers and become a trusted technical advisor
- Deep knowledge and hands-on experience in API management platforms and API related activities: requirement analysis, solution architecture and design, resource-based API modelling, micro-services architecture
- Knowledge on API design standards by standard bodies such as TM Forum, OpenAPI and their best-practices
- Knowledge on APIs applied to business: API Economy, Monetization / Billing, Industry use cases, and "customer-centric” APIs requirements
- Knowledge and experience of API monitoring, recovery design and reporting
- Knowledge of container platforms and frameworks is desirable
- Creative thinker and problem solver, willing to keep options open for as long as productive analysis is occurring, within timelines appropriate for the needs of the business
- Articulate and engaging written and presentation skills
This position can be located in either London, UK or St. John's, Canada.
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do