Principal Construction Design Engineer - Flexible Working Available
Principal Construction Design Engineer
Dartford, other locations considered
An excellent opportunity has arisen to join our specialist construction engineering design team. As a principal level candidate, you will work on a variety of projects such as Thames Tideway, East West Rail, Whiteleys and Beckton water treatment to name a few. You will work closely with project teams to design structural and temporary works solutions that will enable the delivery of the project. The Principal Designer will be responsible for up to 6 Engineers providing technical guidance and on the job training.
About the Role
- The Principal Construction Engineer will be the primary point of contact within the Temporary Works Design Office for projects, as allocated by the General Manager.
- Provide safe, practical and economic designs of temporary works in accordance with project procedures, the British and European codes of practice and UK construction Health and safety legislation
- Prepare conceptual and detailed designs including calculations, design risk assessments and sketches / drawings / models as appropriate
- Work on a range of temporary works designs, which could include: formwork, falsework, access, temporary concrete and steel structures, reinforcement stability, structures for heavy lifting, groundworks, etc.
- Work with specialist the CAD team
- Work with construction teams to understand the practicalities of the erection, use and dismantle of temporary works
- Coordinate design work with a wide range of suppliers and designers
- Preferably Chartered Engineer Status (CEng, MICE, IStructE)
- Desired education BEng / MEng in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Hands on experience with BS 5975
- Experience in the design of formwork, falsework and access scaffolding
- Experience in the design of bespoke shutters (steel or timber)
- Experience with codes of practice for concrete and steel work design (EN & BS codes)
- Literacy in Microsoft office software
- Excellent communications skills
- Detailed knowledge of UK Health and Safety legislation
- Ability to manage consultants, sub-consultants, suppliers and sub-contractors
The Principal Construction Design Engineer will have a strong technical background. Fluency at designing with all mainstream structural materials (i.e. steelwork, reinforced concrete, timber, etc.) using Eurocodes is expected. Geotechnical design capability is also highly beneficial. Familiarity with a range of proprietary falsework, formwork and shoring equipment is also an essential requirement of the role.
Why Choose Us?
We are an innovative, forward thinking business who pride ourselves on the quality of our people and the projects we deliver.
We are committed to extensive training, development and long-term career opportunities and as such this role is suitable for a committed individual who is seeking long-term career opportunities.
In return you will be rewarded with leading company benefits that only a global business can offer as well as a competitive remuneration package.
With a heritage spanning over 160 years, Laing O'Rourke is an internationally focused engineering enterprise with world-class capabilities. We operate an integrated business model comprising the full range of engineering, construction and asset management services delivering single-source solutions for some of the world's most prestigious public and private organisations.
We really value difference at Laing O'Rourke and believe a diverse team drives innovation. We are a global multicultural business committed to the inclusion of all employees, enabling everyone to feel respected & valued for being themselves.
We want to ensure our recruitment process is accessible to all. If you need the application form in an alternative format or you would like to know more about our recruitment process please email.
To all recruitment agencies: Laing O'Rourke does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our vacancies, employees or any other person acting on behalf of us. Laing O'Rourke is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.