Assistant Commercial Manager (Assistant QS)
Are you a recent Quantity Surveyor graduate seeking an opportunity to start your career, or do you have 1-3 years of experience in an Assistant Quantity Surveyor role? If yes, we have an outstanding full time, permanent opportunity for you!
Within our Facilities Management division we are looking to appoint an Assistant Commercial Manager (Assistant Quantity Surveyor) to join a commercial team of 4 working on the Scottish Schools Facility Management contracts and assisting within our expanding projects division.
Ideally you will have a QS degree or be close to completing one, or 1-3 years' experience working in the QS world in general construction of Facilities Management contracts. (FM experience is not essential)
Post Covid restrictions you will be based in Motherwell, with possible travel to any of the 6 estates of Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Edinburgh, Dumfries & Galloway, Clackmannanshire and Borders on an ad hoc basis for site visits and meetings.
What will this role involve?
- Ensure compliance with the Amey systems, processes and procedures on Contracts Totalling £60m p.a.
- Work within the strict deadlines required under the Contract(s) and as required by the Company
- Be accountable for delivery of key commercial tasks
- Manage Subcontract and Early Warning related reports
- Work independently, with minimal supervision
- Assist in the preparation of any data required to populate commercial reports including Cost Value Reconciliations and cash flows as directed
- Exercise full cost control of project(s) in conjunction with the Commercial Manager as directed
- Produce monthly and/or weekly cost and value data to support forecasts to completion of the project(s) as directed
- Be pro-active in identifying the existence of all variations (changes) to the works in conjunction with other project team members
- Be pro-active in identifying the existence of any "claim" and "extension of time" situations in conjunction with other project team members
- Ensure that all contemporary records are kept by the project team members for use in supporting claims, extensions of time, and the evaluation of variations
- Day to day commercial management of the PPP School Contracts
- Providing contractual support to Operation Manager and Account Managers when required
- Ensure and review contractual compliance relating to all PPP School Contracts
- Manage the subcontract procurement and payment process as required
- Applications/Valuations - production and submission of applications for payment and addressing any relevant queries with the client.
- Supply Chain Management - including managing supplier frameworks, assessing and making payments whilst ensuring the relevant notices are issued, change management.
- Change Management - supporting project teams to ensure change is assessed and agreed
Experience and Skills required
- Having, or be studying for, a Degree qualification (QS - RICS Accredited or equivalent) or RICS Associate Skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products especially Excel and Word
- Methodical style of working
- Ability to time-manage, set priorities and work to strict deadlines
- Strong commercial and financial acumen Experience
- Some quantity surveying experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills
We're all originals here and our individuality is an asset. We have unique backgrounds and personalities, which means we all bring different ideas to the table. But we do have one thing in common: we all take personal pride in our public service. With every drop of water and spark of electricity we supply, with every bolt we tighten and with every guiding golden nugget of advice, we better manage the services that we all use and rely on every day, ensuring every household in Britain benefits from our work.
Amey is one of the top five support services suppliers in the UK. We employ 16,000 people, have a turnover of £2.1bn and a strong forward order-book. Every household in Britain benefits from the work we do. We maintain the UK's road and rail infrastructure, keep schools safe and clean, manage the UK's defence estate, safely escort prisoners and keep prisons and courts secure. We also collect and process waste, as well as deliver utilities services. All of this is underpinned by our leading consulting capabilities which uses engineering design and data analytics to better manage the services we all use and rely on.
As one of us, you can really be you because your individuality is an asset. You're surrounded by a team of people who want you to grow and embrace new challenges. People who care about your job satisfaction as well as your wellbeing. There'll be experiences as original as you are, in a career that can feel like many rolled into one. You'll be stretched but always supported. Whether it's working on the biggest bridge in the country, learning to get to grips with the latest technology, or just working with a great group of people every day, you'll find what gets you out of bed in the morning at Amey.