Software Development Engineer II
Eurosport Digital is Discovery's primary drive into the Direct to Consumer business in Europe. It currently comprises two parts; Eurosport.com - the continent's number one sports news website - and Eurosport Player, a leading subscription-based OTT sports platform available across Europe.
The business is in a period of high growth, fueled by investment in rights, marketing, product and content.
We are looking for top Engineering talent, whose deep technical expertise and problem-solving skills are matched only by their passion for design and user experience. Our team builds the user experiences for OTT applications on Connected Devices and Consoles such as XBox. If you delight in delivering high quality, fast, and efficient TV applications to millions of customers, then this is the role for you.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct 2 Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery-owned networks including Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport and Discovery Plus. This growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer to join our team in London. As the Software Development Engineer II (Connected), you will be developing new solutions, rich customer interactions, and develop shared libraries that allow for re-use.
The successful candidate will have a track record of delivering high quality software that can be used as a base for the development of multiple consumer products. You will have a good understanding of Software architecture and modular design patterns. Very good knowledge of Unit and behavioural test approaches will also be essential.
Key Skills & Experience
• High proficiency with JS for resource constraint devices.
• You are able to write that is optimised for low memory and CPU consumption.
• You have a proven track record of TV and Console application development and are able to design applications for resource constraint devices.
• You play a leading role to design and develop major functional changes to existing software systems, or new ones, involving yourself and other engineers. You make good decisions when to build new and when to extend existing
• You make high impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team
• You provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on. You can propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
• You mentor junior engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality, and integration into a team. Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.