Lead UX Design Researcher
Metro Bank may be a Bank, but there’s something that makes us different from other Banks: our people.
We believe that people come first, and that everyone deserves a great experience every step of the way – whether it’s face to face, online or on our app. We were rated #1 for our store and digital services in the latest CMA service quality survey.
Metro Bank first opened its doors in summer 2010, the first high street Bank to open in the UK for over 100 years. We reached 2 million customers in 2019. We started a revolution, a real game changer and we’re continuously innovating to create magic moments for our customers, in store and digitally.
Depending on the team, most of our roles offer flexible working and you will work remotely temporarily due to COVID-19.
About the role
We are looking for a Lead UX Design Researcher to build up and manage a research functionality embedded in the digital design team, to help support experience design decisions across all of our product workstreams. We want someone who is passionate about creating delightful experiences for our customers, being a systems thinker but designing for the moment. You will play a key role in championing our retail and commercial customers and develop and deliver an outstanding online banking offering to them. Your team currently consists of a UX and UI designer but might grow in the future. You will be leading and mentoring the UX designers and working very closely with a UI designer. The role requires close alignment with the mobile banking and other online teams to ensure consistency across all customer touchpoints.
So what would you be doing?...
• Identifying opportunities for discovery research, conduct and deliver insights to help shape product and design decisions
• Providing research insight and direction to product managers and designers to formulate ideas on how to improve products on an ongoing basis
• Presenting/Communicating research insights to counterpart and executive stakeholders
• Scoping, arranging and conducting strategic user research and usability testing activities
• Taking accountability for design quality and cohesion across your projects
• Working closely with our product, tech and propositions teams designing and delivering outstanding feature improvements and advocating UX across your team and the wider business
• Liaising with other UX Leads to make sure consistency across products and platforms
• Championing best practices for products and services across the Bank’s digital platforms
You need to be this kind of person…
• Passionate about providing unparalleled levels of service and convenience for customers
• Prepared to stick at something – we get nervous if someone has jumped from job to job as we want people who are prepared to learn and grow
• Able to work and learn quickly in a fast paced, fun and dynamic environment
• Care about doing a great job and exceeding expectations with the quality of what you do
• True team player who sees things through end to end
• Creative thinker with highly analytical mindset
And... we are a bank so risk is a part of everything we do. We love people who take responsibility, do the right thing for customers, colleagues and Metro Bank and have the courage to call out any concerns.
We always support colleagues to develop their skills. But to be successful in this job you really do need to already be able to do most of these wonderful things...
• Understand the risks associated with your job and what that means for you, Metro Bank and all our stakeholders
• You will have a breadth of design knowledge and experience working as a Lead UX Researcher
• You need to have experience with developing and implementing research strategy in an organisation
• You must be comfortable engaging with stakeholders to formulate ideas, identify improvements and share learnings, as well as acting as the voice of the user in product decisions
• You need to have experience conducting qualitative and quantitative research, throughout the product development lifecycle
• In order to exceed in this role, you will have previously researched for multiple complex customer journey’s
• It would be amazing if you have previous experience in online banking platforms and working with design systems
• Ideally, you will have previous experience leading, mentoring or coaching a team of Designers
Diverse teams really are the best teams. We know that candidates (especially women, research tells us) may be put off applying for a job unless they can tick every box. We also know that ‘normal’ office hours aren’t always doable, and while we can’t accommodate every flexible working request we are happy to be asked. So if you are excited about working with us and think you can do much of what we are looking for but aren’t sure if you are 100% there yet… why not give it a whirl? Please note that sometimes we may close a job earlier for applications if we are inundated with amazing candidates.. Good luck!