Arborist / Climber
What is the purpose of this role?
You will be part of team that is responsible for the maintenance of 36,000 highway trees within the Sheffield city boundary working on a £2 billion PFI contract. The operations you will be required to carry out include all aspects of felling and pruning works using rope access techniques and mobile elevated work platforms, tree planting and watering and also epicormic growth removal on an annual basis.
What will this role involve?
- Carrying out all aspects of arboriculture works, pruning, felling, epicormic growth removal, planting etc.
- Carry out checks on plant and equipment to comply with LOLER and PUWER
- Carry out pruning works in line with BS3998 standard
- Carry out tree planting to BS8545 standard
- Carry out site specific risk assessment
- Conduct environmental assessment before carrying out practical works
- Keep records, complete all necessary paperwork, communicate and liaise with other employees of Amey, subcontractors, the emergency services, the general public, clients and customers
- Undertake vehicle checks
- Assist in other duties which may reasonably be expected
What are we looking for?
- NPTC or Lantra qualification in the use of chainsaws
- NPTC or Lantra qualification in tree climbing and aerial rescue
- Experience or qualification in carrying out pruning operations
- HGV license would be an advantage
- Level 2 or above certificate in arboriculture desirable
- Emergency first aid at work (HSE) or Forestry first aid
- Knowledge of the wildlife and countryside act and any other relevant legislation
- Ability/qualification to operate light plant and equipment including woodchippers, stump grinders and mewps
- Awareness of customer care, dealing with the general public and customers and or their agents
- Sound working knowledge of H&S as it applies within the Arboricultural operations including required competency skills certification for task employed to undertake
We're all originals here and our individuality is an asset. We have unique backgrounds and personalities, which means we all bring different ideas to the table. But we do have one thing in common: we all take personal pride in our public service. With every drop of water and spark of electricity we supply, with every bolt we tighten and with every guiding golden nugget of advice, we better manage the services that we all use and rely on every day, ensuring every household in Britain benefits from our work.
Amey is one of the top five support services suppliers in the UK. We employ 16,000 people, have a turnover of £2.1bn and a strong forward order-book. Every household in Britain benefits from the work we do. We maintain the UK's road and rail infrastructure, keep schools safe and clean, manage the UK's defence estate, safely escort prisoners and keep prisons and courts secure. We also collect and process waste, as well as deliver utilities services. All of this is underpinned by our leading consulting capabilities which uses engineering design and data analytics to better manage the services we all use and rely on
As one of us, you can really be you because your individuality is an asset. You're surrounded by a team of people who want you to grow and embrace new challenges. People who care about your job satisfaction as well as your wellbeing. There'll be experiences as original as you are, in a career that can feel like many rolled into one. You'll be stretched but always supported. Whether it's working on the biggest bridge in the country, learning to get to grips with the latest technology, or just working with a great group of people every day, you'll find what gets you out of bed in the morning at Amey.